First trip to the tr

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
First trip to the track

Took the Cutlass to the track for the first time this last friday.

I'd been having problems with the Q-jet all week with leaking and bogging. I had spent about an hour trying to tune out a bog that it has when you first punch it, but no luck.

Nonetheless, I did manage a 15.13 on my first run.

R/T: .560

60': 2.24

330': 6.37

1/8th ET: 9.82
1/8th MPH: 71.35 mph

1000' ET: 12.78
1000' MPH: 81.94 mph

1/4 ET: 15.13
1/4 MPH: 89.82 mph

The Q-jet totally bit the dust at the after that (my next 2 runs were a 16.4 and a 17.2 where the car stalled at the end :x ). It wouldn't even idle after the last run, time for a carb rebuild. :lol:

I've got a buddies Edelbrock 650 on there for right now. Doesn't seem to have nearly the low end punch that the Q-jet had when it was working right, but it seems to have better mid range pull than the Q-jet did. I will run with it this friday, and try to get the vids from both runs posted.

I think I can break into the 14s with the Edelbrock, and if I can get the Q-jet working like it was in the video of me against the Ranchero, I think I can get fairly deep into the 14s. Which isn't exactly fast, but given that I'm running the stock cam and 2.14s, I'm fairly happy with it.

The car was a huge burnout machine with the Q-jet, and would spin pretty badly off the line. Not so with the Edelbrock, or with the way the Q-jet was working last week. And it won't spin as bad at the track, if I can get it to run like that again!

I'm thinking I'm going to do a gears/cam swap next and throw a locker into the axle. What do you guys think?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Sounds fantastic!! I had a quadrajeet on mine too, but a plug sort of something started to leak...no...gush fuel, so I picked up a used 750 Edelbrock. I like it quite a bit. I think that 14s is real respectable, especially with those gears!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor