First Vehicle You Bought Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Buying your first car is the first step into adulthood.

Or the gateway drug to a life of poverty and trackbite stuck to your shoes.

You all know my regal, and that is my first car, but the first car I bought with my own money from my first job, was my 1970 Ford Thunderbird. 360hp/480ftlb 429 Thunderjet. D0VE-C heads, 600 Holley, custom floorboard and trunk panel delete, ac delete, heat delete, speaker delete, ignition cylinder delete, optional non functioning power windows, the list goes on.

Best $300, then $500 I ever spent.

Sold it for $1000 after 4 months after I bent a pushrod doing a studded snowtire burnout. Fastest I went in it was 95. Sketchy af.
It was the first car I "worked" on too. Vc gaskets, gauge senders, and rebuilt the front suspension.

These are my three favorite pics. Im holding my then 9 year old sister.

Post a pic or favorite memory of the first car you purchased.
FB_IMG_1599292459717.jpg
FB_IMG_1599292447823.jpg
FB_IMG_1599292465749.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I bought my first dirt bike in 1998 at 10 years old with summer job money from shoveling horse manure, matched with money my mom promised me (bike cost $1100 was a 1995 so it was almost new at the time, honda xr100). At 13 in 2001 I bought a 1998 honda xr250 with no help with summer job farm money I think it cost $2k. I was all about dirt bikes and still kinda am. I don't even like elcamino's.... I just like the bed so I can bring my bikes.

My grandfather gave me his old car, 1994 S10 tahoe. That was probably my first car in about 2004. I beat the living hell out of that car like you wouldn't believe. My second car was a 1992 ford taurus my friend's dad gave me. Third car was a 1998 dodge neon R/T with a close ratio 5 speed. That car was fun. I've had dozens of cars and trucks since. I've got 5 cars right now and like 7 bikes and a quad in my garage.

Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
My first car was a black 1966 Mustang Coupe.
Had a newer 302 with a Holley 2 bbl and a three on the floor.
Jacked up with shackles in the back,big tires on the back and small ones in the front.
Looked good back then,but handled like a bag of hammers
Had dual exhaust with Cherry Bomb glasspacks,it sounded a lot faster than it actually was,LOL
Bought it myself with money I made from my first real job working as a nursing orderly at the local mental hospital.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With my '81 Monte being my first ride in '90 with a '79 following in '93 I made my first car purchase in '95 with my '72 (& showed a liking of Montes) that I paid $100 + a Olds 350 that I also paid $100 that was in place of the $300 More he wanted. It was my first "model kit" car that was a roller with an extra frame, doors, ton of other needed & extra parts in the trunk. Found out after getting it home why I had to take the frame. Loved it, converted it to a 4 speed after the TH350 locked up in all 1st gear, put my first rebuilt engine it, drove the wheels off it. Then there was that winter day I had to drive in which a big old tree ended the fun.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
A black 1979 Pontiac Bonneville two door with crushed red velour interior. I had 13 people in it at once. 5 in the front seat, 6 in the back seat, and two in the trunk 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
1976 Monza Spyder. 305 and th350. Burnouts for days on the Eagle ST's. IIRC same wheel pattern and not much more weight than a chevette.
Drove it from Ontario to Alberta in 91 thru the US. Swapped the Auto for a 4 speed stick, and peg leg for posi that winter and kept driving it with snow tires and 100 lbs of sand in the back. It was a really fun car... too bad it was a complete "bondo" bucket with rusted holes all over the place

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I was a kid I had a paper route and saved up enough money to buy a moped so I could expand my route and do it faster and the money I made from that I bought my first car a 72' Nova SS that was gold with black vinyl top and black bucket interior, it had rusted quarters and fenders and I ending up selling it before I got my license and then bought a super clean 72' Impala 4 door from an old lady my mom knew.
If I still had that Nova it would have at least a 565 BBC in it.

Reactions: 3 users

see2xu

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2008
Greensboro NC
First totally unassisted was a '50 Cadillac Superior hearse. Had visions of making it into a long distance race-chasing cruiser, but ran up against the limits of a college-age budget and my limited mechanical and metal working skills. The tin worm in southwestern Ontario, Canada, had done a great deal to lighten it up, if someone wanted to drag race it. The chroming bill would have been bigger than my student loan, even in THOSE days!

First new car was a '79 Cutlass Salon 442, factory-ordered. It's spiritual heir now occupies a space in my garage. Boomer nostalgia.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was born on two wheels. We roamed around on garbage night to find discarded bicycles to strip down and build what we needed. We soon discovered that we could bolt a side-shaft lawn mower engine to a bicycle and have a motor bike for next to nothing. The cops frowned upon that. Once I got my motorcycle learner's permit I bought a 1966 Yamaha 125cc YA6. Sold that and bought a 1970 Harley Davidson 350 Sprint. What a great bike that was! Small but fast. I was given a 1960 Saab sedan that had a three cylinder two cycle engine. That never flew. But the first actual car I bought was a 1959 Ford Ranchero with a 289 hi-po engine and a three speed manual trans. Endless headaches so I traded that for a 1966 BSA 650 Lightning. I next bought a 1965 VW bus but swapped that for a 1965 Bug. None of these lasted very long. Once I escaped the Army and started working a real job I bought a 1968 Firebird that I kept for 16 years. I consider that my first real car.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor