Fixed! Column shift linkage with headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbystill

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2019
Okay, I finally got around to fixing my shift linkage so I can access all the gears on my 2004-R. When I did my engine swap I decided to go with mid-length patriot headers. This put the collector right down next to the proportioning valve for the brakes, right in the space that the shift linkage would have to move through. I guess it's a pretty common problem with header swaps and the most common fix is to switch to a floor shifter. Another option is to try and make a cable work with the column shifter. I figured out you can move the shift rod to the other side of the pivot rod mount, and then add a spacer if you need more clearance. I also had to bend the lower portion of the column shift rod to ad some clearance on the header and the frame. Don't bend it too much, or you wont be able to get into park (ask me how I know).

The picture below is just swapping the rod from the passenger to the driver side of the pivot mount. This let me shift into OD, but the shift rod would bind between the frame and the collector flange if I tried to shift any further. (Don't mind the toe heater in the floor, I'll fix that later)
118D3BA2-A5BC-4604-B05C-84CF8A696A27_1_105_c.jpeg

I figured out that I could probably use a spacer to move the rod further toward the outside of the car to get the rest of the clearance I would need. I went to the hardware store and picked up a longer bolt (M8x1.25x40mm) and two steel spacers (5/8" x 7/8" x 1" and 1/2" x 5/8" x 1") and some 8mm washers. I'm still using the spring washer, but I added to 2 8mm washers to make up for the bolt being slightly to long:

IMG_4376.HEIC.jpeg

And it works! I can smoothly shift through all the gears without any binding. There is a little more deflection on the rubber bushing on the steering column, but nothing crazy and only when I shift all the way down to 1st. I do need to get the bushings that go on the transmission part of the transmission, so if anyone knows the part number that'd be helpful. I haven't found them on the usual sites yet.

• Creative
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor