Fixing my rusty floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Down Shift

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2018
The passenger side floor in my 79 Malibu is toast. It is super thin in the front and has already been patched once. The rear pan is worse. It's also rusted out around the seat bracket and the center support. Pics below for reference...

I bought a complete right floor pan. I have a decent MIG welder and I know how to weld sheet metal well enough. I need to pull the right side seat support and the center support. How do you guys go about that? Just drill out the spot welds and prop it up out of the way while you cut and weld in the new pan? Also, I am going to put bucket seats in the car. Will the replacement brackets on Ebay work with aftermarket brackets, or do I need something else?

Thanks!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Harbor Freight sells spotweld cutters. I would also check for rain leaks too.

HADA442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2017
Ironically: I just went through repairing the same issue on mine, although I guess (?) I lucked-out and the rear wasn't as bad. A buddy of mine ended-up welding-in a Goodmark pan and it fit pretty well!

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
floor.jpg
floor4.jpg
floor 3.jpg
i had to replace the back drivers side floor the rest of the floor was good. i laid the patch panel in. cut it out to the exact size. not over lapped and welded it in..

Reactions: 3 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i dont know to be honest.i bought the car off a buddy. and pulled the carpet out to replace the interior and found it. i only owned the car for 2 weeks and it sat in my garage till i pulled the interior out.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yes carefully drill the welds and remove the brackets I use a pice of sand paper to lightly clean the welds to find there exact center before drilling use a bit 8 mm or 5/16 get center and they should let go without a chisel sometimes after drilling they can be poped with a sharp puddy knife. Think it threw and you have a floor in no time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor