Fjord V10 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I know it's not Gbody but the Ford Forums dont seem to be too keen to help newbies.

Picked up a 99 F450 for a work truck. Gas v10. Its got 268 k kms ( 166 K Miles ), and about 11000 hrs on the hobbes meter.

Starts fine after sitting overnite with a small puff of blue ( ish ) smoke. Drives fine, no stumbles, no codes. Bring it to the jobsite and it can idle for 30 mins then suddenly for 30 seconds or so it is slightly cloudy then back to clear. Keep it running at idle like this for 3-4-6 hours. Then when we leave the jobsite it smokes like a train for 5 mins or so. White at first with some blue with a sour smell. Coolant and oil levels seem unchanged in both the colour and level.

This truck sat for almost 2 years, no service records but it appears to be well maintained ( even the AC works ). I am thinking valve guides but by gut says Head Gasket or Intake Gasket.

Any other thoughts before I tear into this ?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Sounds like the start up smoke is valve guide seals. Would do a leakdown check on the cooling system just to be on the safe side, though.

I have to ask why you are idling that much, though? That is rough on most engines, and that V10 is awful thirsty under the best of conditions.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You can guess, or you can do a leak down test and verify the cause before you fire up the parts cannon. Your choice.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wasn't aware that Sweden build Fjord V10's....:p

for a leak down test I cheat, I use the adapter I use to change valve springs on installed heads. With the valve covers off I pressurize each cylinder making sure the valves are closed and you can hear if air is escaping from a valve or if it is the rings from the crankcase

vs_04.jpg

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
At any point is there a rough idle or rough under throttle. Ford V-10 is notorious for coil pack breakdown, kicking in an out. Well honestly it just might be a Triton thing so same difference. If they are going it will blow smoke, left over raw fuel.

Watch your temperature, see if it has risen when it starts to blow smoke, warping allowing coolant in cylinder chamber. Plugs will tell you a story.

When them engines work, they work well but haven't seen many high mileage ones.

As for a leak down test, you'll have to do it when engine is hot, have fun with that!! Reason for hot engine is that it's not a cold engine leak only happens when at running temperature.

It's a hard chase to find, but l have seen head flex when warm or underload. Sooner or later it will blow head gasket then you'll know. The smell is a coolant smell.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I guess I need a back story to the hows and whys. Getting into some side work at a friends Co working at heights with a bucket truck ( hence the long idle times ). Picked this particular beauty up for the sum of its parts ( thinking the box would re-body to another chassis ). Given the age of the truck the cab is really pretty solid, the box and lift are in excellent shape.

So on to the drivetrain. Oil looks good, coolant looks good, trans fluid is clear and not burnt. I have put a tank of fuel thru it, seafoam then oil change & fuel filter. It had a couple hours run up and down the highway in the last week and it always seems to run better afterwords.

In day to day driving if it wasn't for the smoke you would not know anything is wrong with it. Will dig a little deeper into the Coil On Plug, then maybe even pull the plugs in it to see what they look like. But with everything I read it will supposedly be a chore.

The smoke plain stinks. It's not oily ( blowby ) or sweet ( coolant ) but almost acidic like an electrical fire. Could be the orange motorcraft coolant smells different than the green stuff when it burns ? I have not noticed anything missing from the overflow either so if it is eating coolant it is not much. If it's not something simple I think it will get parked or at least back burnered until I find a diesel unit. Those burn $3-$5 / hr in fuel. This thing is closer to $15- $20 LOL

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Maybe plugs are being fouled out? Either by fuel or the oil leaking into the cylinder? I guess the plugs gotta come out anyway to do a leak down test....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor