Fjord V10 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
It could have plug trouble too. Triton's like to fail plugs/coil packs and they have a few years with intake manifold issues.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Back story helps. I worked at a Ford dealership for 12 years. Put a GOOD scan tool on it and see if any cylinders are low or throwing pending faults. Coils are VERY common. Plugs too because most people hate changing them on these motors. So many times even if they are changed, people use copper plugs instead of the correct platinum which are expensive. Coppers will wear out in 10k miles and start having all sorts of weird running problems.

Here's what I would do. Good scanner, like Snap-On first. If nothing obvious, then yank a coil and plug from one of the harder to get to cylinders. If the plug has paint on the tip were the coil pack goes on, it's an original spark plugs and from when the engine was assembled. You'll be able to tell a lot by doing those things.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Back story helps. I worked at a Ford dealership for 12 years. Put a GOOD scan tool on it and see if any cylinders are low or throwing pending faults. Coils are VERY common. Plugs too because most people hate changing them on these motors. So many times even if they are changed, people use copper plugs instead of the correct platinum which are expensive. Coppers will wear out in 10k miles and start having all sorts of weird running problems.

Here's what I would do. Good scanner, like Snap-On first. If nothing obvious, then yank a coil and plug from one of the harder to get to cylinders. If the plug has paint on the tip were the coil pack goes on, it's an original spark plugs and from when the engine was assembled. You'll be able to tell a lot by doing those things.

Does the bucket hydraulics run off the PTO or are they electric pump driven? If they are electric, an aux power unit could probably save you a ton of money. Hell, a 5 horse Briggs engine hooked to an alternator could maintain the batteries for a couple hundred bucks.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Does the bucket hydraulics run off the PTO or are they electric pump driven? If they are electric, an aux power unit could probably save you a ton of money. Hell, a 5 horse Briggs engine hooked to an alternator could maintain the batteries for a couple hundred bucks.

well her's the rub. In current form primarily it runs off a belt driven pump ( much like an aftermarket AC ). There is an on-board gennie to run a secondary backup pump in the event that the main pump fails / truck stalls but ATM it's Inop due to wiring issues. Plans are to convert it all to 12v DC system running off a 3x battery pack ( like a transport truck ) with an isolator from the vehicle charging system. Using this system nets us appx 3 hours run time before the truck needs to be started to re-charge. For now just looking to make this a reliable backup unit when one of the other 2 needs service without dumping a bunch of cash into it.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
well her's the rub. In current form primarily it runs off a belt driven pump ( much like an aftermarket AC ). There is an on-board gennie to run a secondary backup pump in the event that the main pump fails / truck stalls but ATM it's Inop due to wiring issues. Plans are to convert it all to 12v DC system running off a 3x battery pack ( like a transport truck ) with an isolator from the vehicle charging system. Using this system nets us appx 3 hours run time before the truck needs to be started to re-charge. For now just looking to make this a reliable backup unit when one of the other 2 needs service without dumping a bunch of cash into it.
Got ya. I had installed a homemade APU on my big truck to keep the batteries charged over winter, and that thing was just handy as hell.

Good luck with it.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
today I had some time to dig into this. Keep in mind, the truck runs fine, occasional "put put put" of an exhaust leak but nothing more. Pulled the plugs one by and was disappointed neither of my compression testers would grab a thread to see how good \ bad this motor is. Plugs on the PS looked on the lighter side of tan but OK and came out without issue. Plugs on the DS were a litter darker but still OK until I got to 9.....
Pulled the COP and it was swelled, with some oil residue. I blew out the spark plug hole with compressed air and proceeded to pull the plug but it would not come. It just spins and spins and spins. Guess it's on the verge of an apparent and well know " triton spark plug blowout" LOL.

I am on the fence whether to buy the kit and do it myself or send it to the shop 3 doors up from work and let them deal with the misery.

I dont know if that explains my smoke issue or not but I think it may be part of the problem LOL

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Guarantee that's a big part of it. If you haven't done them, my .02 is to let someone who has do it. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
One thing to consider is that even though it only has 166k miles, it's got untold hours of idle time. Vehicles that get that type of usage don't always get the best of maintenance. A fresh oil change and tune-up is almost certainly needed but the fact remains, it's just got a lot of run time so it's probably a little tired.
Any idea why it was parked in the first place?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
One thing to consider is that even though it only has 166k miles, it's got untold hours of idle time. Vehicles that get that type of usage don't always get the best of maintenance. A fresh oil change and tune-up is almost certainly needed but the fact remains, it's just got a lot of run time so it's probably a little tired.
Any idea why it was parked in the first place?

Hobbes Meter shows 11000 hours run time. Not fresh by any means but not horrible.

It came from a construction co and it actually seems to be well serviced. Maintenance guy was selling it and he was going on and on about how the box and lift alone were worth the asking price. It also had a cracked line to the PS pump making it look like the pump was leaking. We got talking and he mentioned to re-body the box and I went along with it as a negotiating tactic. I figure they discovered the spark plug issue and with the age of the truck being 15 at the time they parked it for parts then bought a 5 year old Diesel unit to replace it. This one has been listed since the fall and I came along, offered 1\3 of the asking price in $$, and drove it back to my shop :) Found a guy today that can repair the spark plug on Monday. Said he has done dozens of them on the Triton motors. So fingers crossed they can patch it up enough to last until the snow flies

For now I am keeping a very casual eye open for a 7.3 manual 4x4 with a decent body that I can PTO ( good luck in the rust belt I know )

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor