Fjord V10 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
forgot to update this. Turns out the head must a spit a plug out in a past life and got heli-coiled badly. When we took the head off the heli-coil was stuck to the plug on in the combustion chamber with no electrode on the end of it and the exhaust valve was chipped. Found a decent used head and sent the good pair off to the machine shop for a quick hot tank, resurface, lap the valves, and new seals.
Getting it back together we put on 2x new timing chains ( because triton ), new water pump ( because I am not digging into this again ), new exhaust studs ( because they like to break ) and new head bolts because we torched 2 out getting the passenger head off. All told it was more money in getting the motor sorted than I paid for the truck in the first place.

Meh, my love for Fjord grows stronger every day ( sarcasm ). I swear I am going to put a chev badge on the grill and it will work better. My friend keeps telling me I am too "nice" to the truck. He said they run best when you don't ever ever open the hood to check anything. Just assume it's all OK and occasionally put some fuel in it ! LOL

Attachments

• 20180830_122525.jpg
    20180830_122525.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
  • 20180905_105726.jpg
    20180905_105726.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Meh, my love for Fjord grows stronger every day ( sarcasm ). I swear I am going to put a chev badge on the grill and it will work better. My friend keeps telling me I am too "nice" to the truck. He said they run best when you don't ever ever open the hood to check anything. Just assume it's all OK and occasionally put some fuel in it ! LOL

I've been working as a technician as a Ford dealership for just about a month, and I'm starting to think your friend is right. We do a lot of service on fleet work trucks for the local gas company and those trucks get beat to hell and back and yet they are the sweetest runners. The ones that are blowing the spark plugs out of them all seem to be personal vehicles. Glad you got it taken care of, now shut the hood and beat the piss out of it!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looking at the photo, I'm surprised it ran as well as it did.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Man that's one hell of a "chipped valve"!!!! LOL

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
OK, next up was the stubborn leak on the trans pan. It puddled worse than a new puppy at every stop. Dropped the pan and happy to see although a little dark there were no shiny bits in the pan ! I cleaned both the transmission mating surface and pan with brake cleaner. Flattened out all the high spots and checked with a straight edge. Gaskets are "supposed" to be re-useable and I got a new one with the filter kit. Everything was nice, dry and clean then re-installed... and it leaks as bad as before. I tried tightening the bolts on pan with no difference. Still leaked. Dropped it twice since adding more silicone each time and it still leaked. Ended up ordering the "proper" Fjord gasket with a dual sealing surface from the dealer for $78 ( fwiw the "trans filter kit" was $48 with the rubber gasket that leaked ) and that seems to have done the trick !!

Later this week the plan is to get to patching in door bottoms on my good-used doors. Then next I will try my hand at fabbing up some cab corners. I think they must have been a " High End " option as almost every F-Series truck I see around here doesnt seem to have them.

I would post pics for you all to point and laugh at but my bodywork skills are near non-existant. Honestly though I never seem to think of taking pics until the job is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor