Flat tappet engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I've just hit my 500 mile break in and I'm ready to change my oil. This is a new chevy 350/265 with a flat tappet cam and I know the oil should had ZDDP, but that's all I know. should I just keep using engine breakin oil, or is there an popular addative that I can just pour in? I'm hoping its something common I can get a pep-boys. I see that summit has oil with ZDDP that is not listed as 'break in' so I was thinking to just order that, doesn't seem expensive compared to other oils. Thanks in advance for your input.

Nov 4, 2012
The machine shop that built my Buick motor told me to run Valvoline VR1.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
People make a bigger deal out of the lack of zinc than I think there is. I've been running whatever cheap oil I can get my hands on and never had an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky, IDK

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
People make a bigger deal out of the lack of zinc than I think there is. I've been running whatever cheap oil I can get my hands on and never had an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky, IDK
You also have early winter, deep winter, late winter, false spring, last winter, mud season, 10 weeks of sprinummerfall, and then repeat with the car sitting for the other 42 odd weeks.....

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You also have early winter, deep winter, late winter, false spring, last winter, mud season, 10 weeks of sprinummerfall, and then repeat with the car sitting for the other 42 odd weeks.....
Touché

• Haha
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Summit oil is fine. The VR1, Lucas Hot Rod oil, Mobil 15W50 and others will work. I had a cam go flat, using SL rated Quaker State Defy with 1100/1000 ppm and the ZDDP additive for break in. It took out the bearings in my $120 motor that owed me nothing. That motor has a tiny peanut cam, it will be much less critical to run a high ZDDP now that you have broke it in.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Too much zinc is only an issue in reality when you are running the dual bed catalytic converters. If no converters, you can run the zinc oils, to a point, obviously. Way too much zinc is bad, too. Although I'm not sure it matters all that much as long as you're running a good quality oil like Valvoline, Dexos, or other sythetics/syn blends, etc.

I got a good stash of the OLD ACDelco engine oil supplement (EOS) and only use a couple of capfuls doing an oil change on the flat tappet cammed cars. I've never ever had any issues with it. Probably don't even need it, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my shorts, so, I'm good with that.

There's always those that want to run Amsoil, or Mobil 1, or other high-dollar oils, and that's fine, too. Oil selection is like toilet paper buys. Everyone has a preference and it's not always due to scientific evidence. Some people swear by Royal Purple, some with Brad Penn, etc., and the lists go on.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
So I bought standard 10W-30 oil and a ZDDP additive from Risoline. I'll buy the Summit oil for future use but its several weeks out and I can't wait that long.
I found the paperwork for the motor and GM recommends using synthetic oil after break-in. I'm starting to wonder why.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So I bought standard 10W-30 oil and a ZDDP additive from Risoline. I'll buy the Summit oil for future use but its several weeks out and I can't wait that long.
I found the paperwork for the motor and GM recommends using synthetic oil after break-in. I'm starting to wonder why.
It's because like most car companies, they see the benefits of synthetics in lubrication.

Obviously it's only a recommendation, but ultimately it's your choice.

Suggest you go and read some testicle-moan-ials over at www.bobistheoilguy.com and it may help you make the right choices that you feel comfortable with. Overall, though, regular oil change intervals followed up with good quality filters and good quality, proper weight oil, you should do just fine.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's because like most car companies, they see the benefits of synthetics in lubrication.

Obviously it's only a recommendation, but ultimately it's your choice.

Suggest you go and read some testicle-moan-ials over at www.bobistheoilguy.com and it may help you make the right choices that you feel comfortable with. Overall, though, regular oil change intervals followed up with good quality filters and good quality, proper weight oil, you should do just fine.
One caveat to Bob is the oil guy.... if you use the search function (and maybe if you dont) check the dates on the posts and data.

Oil companies change formulations over time, so, numbers on zddp content and the like may no longer be accurate

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor