Flex Fan Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Wanting to replace my stock coil fan with an aluminum flex fan...

'84 Monte Carlo 305 SBC

I have a stock fan shroud and a long water pump...

What fan size and spacer size would I need ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Just use a normal clutch fan.
With all due respect...

If i wanted to use the clutch fan, I wouldn't post here...

Before the opinionated responses get out of hand here, I don't need personal opinions... I need answers to my question...

If you don't know or if you have a personal opinion outside of answering my question specifically, I don't care for it...

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
With all due respect...

If i wanted to use the clutch fan, I wouldn't post here...

Before the opinionated responses get out of hand here, I don't need personal opinions... I need answers to my question...

If you don't know or if you have a personal opinion outside of answering my question specifically, I don't care for it...
Flex fans are known to shed the blades over time. The factory clutch fan actually uses less power than a flex fan. Be my guest and use the flex fan if you would like.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Flex fans are known to shed the blades over time. The factory clutch fan actually uses less power than a flex fan. Be my guest and use the flex fan if you would like.
No problem, I've done my research and made the decision... I've used flex fans before with no issues...biggest downfall is a 6-7 HP loss 🤷🏾‍♂...

I'm sorry for my comment and not trying to cause conflict, but I've learned here people tend to give more personal opinion than the answer to questions...I spend more time validating "why" than I do getting the answer and on with finishing the job... Spent days on end doing that... sick of it.

Wastes time and isn't very helpful at most times...can be sometimes, but not most of the time...

People come here to get questions answered and help with what they ask for, not to be "mothered" ... and 9x out of 10 I've done my research before posting...

Honestly, I half *ss don't see the point of asking questions here with that kind of feedback...

It's one thing to point out advice, its another when they stop responding because you didn't do things to their liking...

Met some good guys here, a lot actually, but a lot are also narcissistic...not saying you, but a lot are...where's the help in that ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
This is a good reference... Says a good start is 2" spacer...

Screenshot_20220217-061356_Chrome.jpg

So I bought an 18" fan and a 2" spacer for my 305 long water pump setup...

Screenshot_20220217-065015_eBay.jpg

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The answer to your question is located under your hood. All it takes is a tape measure to figure it out once you have your new fan.
The fan needs to be partially into the shroud; into it enough that the fan blades are mostly contained by the shroud but not 100% within the shroud. I target 2/3 depth.

Hopefully you're already aware of this but flex fans are not recommended for use w/plastic shrouds (like the shrouds most g-bodys have).

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
The answer to your question is located under your hood. All it takes is a tape measure to figure it out once you have your new fan.
The fan needs to be partially into the shroud; into it enough that the fan blades are mostly contained by the shroud but not 100% within the shroud. I target 2/3 depth.

Hopefully you're already aware of this but flex fans are not recommended for use w/plastic shrouds (like the shrouds most g-bodys have).
I'm not aware of that...never been an issue before...

Why is it not recommended ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor