floor shifter conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
hey everyone basically tomorrow morning im thinking about going to the bank and depositing some money and ordering a B&M floor shifter (probably the popular ratcheting megashifter) for the 200r 700r th350 and others it all is the same sh*t ;p anyways before i go out and do this tomorrow morning does anyone have any honest reviews... the website like paid little timmy to be like YEAH THERE THE BEST but does everyone actually go together right and etc etc... column shift is bullshit idea and im going to floor shifter because doing a manual conversion on a gbody is like doing a sex change on a he/she wtf so anyways yeah... good bad ugly... simple?... and if your thoughts entail (ratcheting shifters suck) plz do say which other kind of mechanism is better... my dad doesnt like the ratcheting shifters but i dont think he has any experience with the other after market ones so thanks for any responses ;)

87MC_SS

Apprentice
Aug 27, 2010
Pueblo, CO
I had the B&M mega shifter in my MC SS and I just switched to the Hammer shifter yesterday. Its a very simple unit to handle and install from a floor shift to a floor shift bcuz it mounts onto the stock shifter brackets. As far as from column to floor...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80775/

go to the link and check that out. its made for what your wanting to do. and it gives u the manual transmission appeal for the auto trans

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
well theres 2 parts the to the reason i wanted floor shifter... yes one was manual transmission appeal because obvious... the other thing is that a ratcheting shifter would actually allow me to drive the trans as if it were a manual... my buddy cam had originally told me that the ratcheting shifter was normal floor shifter prndl but you could put it in drive and "ratchet" through the gears (and i was assuming that was true) considered if i get a standard detent i wont simply start a race in l and shift to d... i know people who do that and maybe in a 5 speed that works lol but it doesnt in my 200... so if im saying i want to get the ratchet simply for the times that i will actually want to ratchet through all the gears which will be fairly often do you still think i should go with detent mechanism

olsguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
i had a B&M mega shifter in my wagon with a 200r4 trans. you can not just drive it like a manual trans. yes, the shifter will let you drop down in to another gear like over drive to drive for passing but with out transmission mods you can not just shift when ever you want like a manual trans, if you a "racing" and you shift from 1st to 2nd at around 4500- 5000 RPMs then your trans will wait to shift tell the vehical reaches the right speed. if you wanted to set it up to drive like a manual then get the ratchet shifter of yo want and get a full manual valve body for your trans, that will let you do any gear any time but that gets old on a daily driver.

olsguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
i would also consider a TH350 over your TH200. i know erver one will probly tell you this but the 200 and 200r4 are not the best or cheapest trans to play with trust me on this. and why not columb shift a full manual valve body trans.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
lol um i completely understand you and yeah i know that regardless of shifter the transmission is basically dead wait... i just said i wouldnt wanna shift through the gears on regular detent, its not the same ;p but when the 400 sb goes in my car i think im gonna put a 700 behind it, im deciding whether or not i want to have it built or not but yeah i know the 200 4r is a dog and worthless especially with how many miles are on it right now lol and i considered putting the shift package on it to get a little tighter shifts but i really dont want to muck up the transmission sooner than i have to not to mention im gonna have to keep that rear a little longer after i swap motor and trans... so yeah i was aware and i dont really do "racing" i havent ever been to the quarter because theres no sense in going in the car i drive right now :p but when ever im caravaning with buddies we always race from greens to practice on rt's plus its funny to watch the people behind you freak out when your on the stall converter or your just sitting at a redlight doing a burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor