Fluke multimeter alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I inherited both of my Fluke multimeters as hand me downs from maintenance guys that have worked for me in the past. Both of them are now shot and I’m wondering if I want to give fluke my hard earned money. Fluke remains to be the standard by which all multi meters are measured. I can buy a new one that suits my needs for just under $200. For those with an electronics background, what do you use and why? I’m looking for the ability to measure all basic functions in addition to capacitance and amperage. Auto scaling is a must have.

1624044708570.jpeg

Here is a new Fluke on Amazon I’m considering

1624045065577.png

Here is Harbour Frights best. It’s less than half the cost with more features. Unknown reliability.

1624045305415.png

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
HF. I have two Flukes, and a mid grade HF. I love them all but if one of the Flukes fails I'm getting another HF. JMO

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Any idea where the Fluke is made? If China then I'd probably just go with HF Chineaseaum at half the price, given those two alternatives. If the Fluke is made in USA, then it would be my first choice.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I bought an Actron (low budget ) more than 12years ago because it measured dwell - yes dwell. $50 and it is still my go to.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have a fluke 115, similar to a 117 but a few less options.

The thing I wish it had was
#1 a DC hertz function, some automotive sensors run on hertz signal and mine can't do it
#2 a thermocouple input

A fluke will do things a cheapo meter won't. I had a case were multiple people were trying to read a low amp load and none of the $40 meters would read it but my fluke did.

I'm ok spending money on a good DMM. It's the only thing between you and 480 volts, I'd rather have some certainty that its protecting me.

I'm so cheap I'd probably dig my own grave to save a buck but a nice meter is worth it.

Reactions: 3 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I have a UEI that I've been using for 10 years. Wish I would have a model with more options, but it works for my needs.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have Fluke's, used them extensively on aircraft. There's a bunch of available accessories also. TBH, it depends on what you need to use it for. I still have analog meters I use, I also have Dwell meters, and my freq counter and O-scope. So, my DMM need not be too elaborate.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor