Flywheel weight...what's the right choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Hello everybody, so I'm in the process of ordering a new flywheel for my 4 speed swap, and i have a question concerning weight. Summit has two reasonably priced flwheels: a Summit Racing Brand and a ZOOM brand, but they both weigh about 16 lbs. The flywheel i have chosen for now is a ZOOM OE Replacement
What concerns me is the weight, i have read that a lightweight flywheel will have a hard time coming off the line compared to a stock 25-30 lbs one, and i might get some bogging or chatter when trying to accelerate. I was wondering if any one has any experience with this?
I will be running a SBC 327 with two barrel carb, stock manifolds and a 7.5 rear end with 2.41 gears, do you think i should go with a stock weight one or will the 16 lbs flywheel be OK?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You want a light flywheel, the engine spools faster and less rotating torque when you take you foot off the gas. I use a gm lightweight 153 tooth flywheel. I tried my 30 lbs GM flywheel cause I had to the get the lightweight resurfaced and there was a noticeable difference. I went back the lightweight as soon as I could. Make sure you get a quality disk and pressure plate and you won't have any issues....this is the flywheel I use

$_1.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
OK so I guess I'll put the order in for the zoom if you're saying a light weight flywheel has no noticeable adverse side effects. I have read the reviews for that specific flywheel and there's nothing but good reviews...I always get a little ancy when I'm ordering parts I want to make sure I get the correct parts. Thanks again!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
We used a 5.5" flywheel on our pro late model circle track car but that clutch is on and off, if you try to ride it you'll burn it up in no time

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Haha well I plan on using the Zoom clutch kit that is matched to the flywheel, it's reasonably priced as well. I don't want a clutch with a lot of pedal effort because I'll be using mechanical linkage so I think a stock replacement style of clutch will be sufficient. I only really ride the clutch in my ranger if I'm parking or backing up. So I don't think I'll be burning it up.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That 2.41 might not work well with a stick, even with a 3:1+ first gear in the Saginaw.

• Informative

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Haha well damn....will a 2.73 rear work better? I have a 3.50 first gear Saginaw will that help my case any? And yes we have a lot of long straight roads so anything that keeps them rpms low is a plus
I didn't want to have tear into the rear until next year...so I might have to switch priorities...I have the cash to get a new ring gear and pinion might as well go with 28 spline axles and a torsen diff.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Heavy flywheel is for stored inertia, it will make the 327 feel torquey-er than a lighter flywheel. If you had a motor with lots of compression and a healthier gear ratio, then the light flywheel is the way to go.

The best way to explain this is what happens when you pin the throttle on a crotch rocket and dump the clutch versus a Harley. The RPM says the same on the Harley because of the weight of the flywheels, on the crotch rocket the engine RPMs fall down.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
That makes sense..I'm going to start looking into buying a new rear setup...it looks like I should go with a minimum of 2.73. There's an ebay listing for a 2.73 torsen with ring gear and pinion...I might go this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor