FNG reporting as ordered, Senor El Kabong El camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Kabong El Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2022
Team G: I am so lucky to be a member of this forum. Why, because I picked up an 83 for under a grit. I am a pilgrim on a mission to restore this asap. I am in the greatest Army in the world and serving at Ft Eustis. As a native Hoosier, I am flabbergasted how this area has so much 70s to 89s US cars with minimal rust.
I would like to buy the carpet today. If there is a El Co guru yoda, what color is my carpet? I will order it from OPG. I think it is " buckskin" If someone knows, please post or email me. I will buy you the beverage of your choice.
Anyway, my friend is a Mopar dude and he said he knew of an 83 El Co with the motor from an 89 Caprice and it was available for just over a grand. This guy is a great friend for throwing me the bone. It needs the starter. I was looked at the condition of the body and the wheels and it has the fiberglass tonneu cover so it was a know brainer. Even if the motor is spun, it is still worth what I paid. The thing is I am pressed for time to get it running as fast as possible.
thank you all to Team G

Attachments

• 20220612_111653.jpg
    20220612_111653.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220612_111659.jpg
    20220612_111659.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220612_111704.jpg
    20220612_111704.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220612_111713.jpg
    20220612_111713.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 20220612_111818.jpg
    20220612_111818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 20220612_111825.jpg
    20220612_111825.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220612_111904.jpg
    20220612_111904.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220612_111906.jpg
    20220612_111906.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • 20220612_111757.jpg
    20220612_111757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • 20220612_111813.jpg
    20220612_111813.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Welcome. Looks like a solid starter project. It's still going to take a lot of work, but if your underbelly is in good shape without rustout, you're way ahead already.

TIP: There may be a cowl tag under the driver side wiper arm that gives you a bit of information, like color codes. Unfortunately, I don't think Elkys got SPID labels until 1984 like every other G-body car, so that's why the cowl tag, if there, is important. Or if you can find a build sheet.

On most other cars, the brown color is usually called Briar Brown, but that can vary between car models and makes. If you have the color code, it will nail it down for sure.

Reactions: 1 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Nice score. Nothing against OPG, but check out forum sponsors Mike's Montes and Dixie Restoration. They specialize in the El Caminos, and if you call or email them they have great product knowledge and customer service according to many posts here. My car is a Cutlass, but I have bought several items from Dixie Restoration and have been very pleased with them.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
overall, not bad. sounds like a great deal for 1K. minimal rust? you better take a closer look at the back window and the bed where they stuck duct tape to stop some obvious leaks. those nasty rusty things behind the drivers seat? better make sure your floor pans are not rusted out. if the rear window is leaking that's where all your water would puddle.
it's also missing the cruise control spring, and the steering wheel will need replacement, but they are available.

you've got some work cut out for you. first chance you get, get it into the hobby shop up on a lift and inspect underneath. take lots of pics.

good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

El Kabong El Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2022
overall, not bad. sounds like a great deal for 1K. minimal rust? you better take a closer look at the back window and the bed where they stuck duct tape to stop some obvious leaks. those nasty rusty things behind the drivers seat? better make sure your floor pans are not rusted out. if the rear window is leaking that's where all your water would puddle.
it's also missing the cruise control spring, and the steering wheel will need replacement, but they are available.

you've got some work cut out for you. first chance you get, get it into the hobby shop up on a lift and inspect underneath. take lots of pics.

good luck!
Thank you so much for the input. I will try the sponsor. I just did a cursory look and didn't see interior stuff. And on the "not much rust" statement. I should have quantified that with "compared to cars from Indiana" I assume the PA stands for Keystone commonwealth and if so, you know exactly what I mean due the salting the hell out of the roads. On that, I appreciate the pointing out of the typical areas of rust.
Also, the Car shop is great at Eustis but I need to retire to use it but that could be 3 years away. Or based on PRC< PRK former USSR ad nauseum. Not complaining, it's job security.

El Kabong El Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2022
Nice score. Nothing against OPG, but check out forum sponsors Mike's Montes and Dixie Restoration. They specialize in the El Caminos, and if you call or email them they have great product knowledge and customer service according to many posts here. My car is a Cutlass, but I have bought several items from Dixie Restoration and have been very pleased with them.
I joined at 4 am EST and then I did a cursory look at the sponsors. I will do a deep dive into Mikes and see what carpets are available. On another note, the company from the Great Hoosier state that does the suspension stuff....that seems like a great price and product for the price.

El Kabong El Camino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2022
Welcome. Looks like a solid starter project. It's still going to take a lot of work, but if your underbelly is in good shape without rustout, you're way ahead already.

TIP: There may be a cowl tag under the driver side wiper arm that gives you a bit of information, like color codes. Unfortunately, I don't think Elkys got SPID labels until 1984 like every other G-body car, so that's why the cowl tag, if there, is important. Or if you can find a build sheet.

On most other cars, the brown color is usually called Briar Brown, but that can vary between car models and makes. If you have the color code, it will nail it down for sure.
Hey, thank you for that tip. Uber much appreciated..

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Looks like a good start. I have an 82 El C. If you can get the better carpet with good padding. That's what I did. Noise and heat. Look at the cubby hole behind the seat for rust. If you can take to a shop and put on lift to give you a good idea. Welcome from SW Georgia

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Thank you so much for the input. I will try the sponsor. I just did a cursory look and didn't see interior stuff. And on the "not much rust" statement. I should have quantified that with "compared to cars from Indiana" I assume the PA stands for Keystone commonwealth and if so, you know exactly what I mean due the salting the hell out of the roads. On that, I appreciate the pointing out of the typical areas of rust.
Also, the Car shop is great at Eustis but I need to retire to use it but that could be 3 years away. Or based on PRC< PRK former USSR ad nauseum. Not complaining, it's job security.
what? they don't let active duty military use the shop? since WTF when ?!?

also take a look at an El Ccamino specific site www.elcaminocentral.com . this site and that one have excellent info depending on what you're talking about and what you're doing. ECC has a lot of Elkie-specific info, but I've noticed this site does a lot more project work with a fair amount of 1-off stuff. I use both sites for research and have learned a lot from each.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sounds like you've got a some good info on your carpet situation.if you pull the sill plate it will show a much better representation of the actual carpet color being protected from the sun and wear and tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor