Ford 9 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I've read on here before that the 66-77 Ford Bronco is the same width as our cars. I've located one for $350.00. How difficult is that swap? I have a good mig welder,and my mechanic son is coming home for a week next month. So if it's a practical swap, the timing seems right. I'm hoping someone has done it already.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Don't spend that much. You can get the bare housing with mounts for that kind of money. New bare housing and axles that bolts in is $750.

If you give $350 for the Bronco rearend, it will have Bronco bolt pattern for rear wheels. You will have to have a rearend to cut the lower control mounts off of and then fabricate upper mounts or buy a kit for $100 or so.

There is not enough meat in the axle flange to support re-drilling to match the car 5x4-3/4 bolt pattern without welding up the holes.

It may have brakes that can be made to work if re-drilled.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Don't spend that much. You can get the bare housing with mounts for that kind of money. New bare housing and axles that bolts in is $750.

If you give $350 for the Bronco rearend, it will have Bronco bolt pattern for rear wheels. You will have to have a rearend to cut the lower control mounts off of and then fabricate upper mounts or buy a kit for $100 or so.

There is not enough meat in the axle flange to support re-drilling to match the car 5x4-3/4 bolt pattern without welding up the holes.

It may have brakes that can be made to work if re-drilled.
Thanx a lot. Where can I get the housings?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
By the time it is all said and done you would probably only be using the bare housing from the Bronco and since they are set up for leaf spring suspension your upper and lower control arms mounts would have to be welded on along with spring perches and shock mounts.
The aftermarket uses jigs to precisely set up the mounting angles to match our Gbody when welding these components on.
The axles that come with the Bronco will be 28 spline, besides also having the wrong bolt pattern.
As stated the better option would be buy a bolt in 9" housing/axle package and it will come with a minimum 31 spline with the correct 4-3/4 bolt pattern usually you can upgrade the spline count at no additional charge.
I bought my housing from Moser and shopped around for the best prices on the nodular case, gears and locker, etc.
Bolt in housings to complete rearends are available from Moser, Currie, Strange, QTP etc your budget is your only limitation.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor