Ford 9" stock suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

blake sheets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2016
sanford michigan
i recently purchased a 84 grand prix and the previous owner has welded in a ford 9" rear end housing with brackets that connect to the stock rear suspension. i have a few friends that run the stock rear geometry with different springs and shocks. the car is in the process of being put on stands and all nice and leveled out so i can run some numbers and do some math and measurements to make sure the previous owners welded brackets and alignment is correct.... now, my question is if anybody on here has done the same thing( swapping a 9" ) in replacement for the stock rear end and if so how did YOU do it. replace with adjustable uppers? adjustable coil overs? shocks... etc etc..... pictures and knowledge is appreciated. im leaning more towards a straight line 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile car and a very rare trip to go get a ice cream cone if you know what i mean. thanks

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
The 9 inch I bought,and,AFAIK,most if not all aftermarket 9 inch rearends are a "bolt in" with all the brackets in the proper place at the proper angle.
All the stock suspension pieces are a direct fit on mine.
Guy

blake sheets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2016
sanford michigan
The 9 inch I bought,and,AFAIK,most if not all aftermarket 9 inch rearends are a "bolt in" with all the brackets in the proper place at the proper angle.
Guy
Guy
this 9 inch housing is not aftermarket, it was probably cut out of a truck as it has the longer sleeves comming from the center section. would it be an option to buy a aftermarket 9 inch duplicate all the bracketry n such onto to mine and then send the thing back? what brand is yours?

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
what you are trying to do is not as hard as you are making it out to be. if you have alot of friends with g-bodies then this will be very simple. all you need to do id start at the centerline of the rear. take the measurments from center to the brackets. do the same for top, bottom and the spring pearches. you can also measure your angles to make sure that that is correct also. then you can also figure out your width in the same manner. it may be easier to pick up a cheap 7.5 rear housing if you cant get access to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor