Ford 9inch install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
Hey guys, so I've got a weird issue.
I'm completely new to the Ford 9inch and just installed a new one from Quick Performance into my 79 Malibu Wagon.
Car is an turbo LS and 4l80e swap in progress.

Put together the rear end like it should be (according to everything I found online anyway) but it's very possible I made a mistake.
The rear axle DOES NOT want to turn now. And each axle and the pinion spun free before hanging it in the car. Was trying to push the car back into my garage and it would barely budge. There was an awful noise coming from the rear end when it would move (Which was a couple of inches total tops). I ended up putting the rear of the car on dollies to move it back into the garage for the night.

I'm guessing I have some sort of binding going on? I have no idea. I made sure the axles where in the splines before seating the bearing. The brakes and driveshaft are also unhooked. Anyone ever have a similar problem?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Brakes dragging?

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Watching this post. I to have been looking at Quick Performance 9" to replace my 81/2 GN.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
The brakes are not connected yet. Just stuck the rear end in to move the car around. So brake drag is not possible. But thats exactly what it acts like.
Tire rubbing also not the issue. Checked for that.
Car was moving straight. No turning.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Jack the rear up and see if one side will turn. Not sure how that track-lock works ?Look at you're pinion and make sure nothing rubbing that. Check around the wheels and hubs for something rubbing. Just trying to help . Look for the easy stuff first.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
And each axle and the pinion spun free before hanging it in the car.
I would first look for any obvious exterior binding and after that I would remove one axle at a time and try turning the pinion each time to see if it frees up and then I would remove the third member and carefully inspect that, maybe a pin or clip backed out and is stopping movement. The main thing would be to isolate why and where the binding is happening.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just because the brakes aren't hooked up doesn't mean they aren't locked up.

As 565bbchevy mentioned, take one part off at a time and re-check. My money is on a brake catching the side of a drum or similar with a rotor. I'm guessing that when it was spinning freely on the ground you didn't have any rims/wheels bolted on.

If I'm wrong, then I'll buy you a cold one :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor