Fordillac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
I just signed up today, I will be an unusual member. I recently purchased a 52 Ford club coupe with a Cadillac 500 engine, it's close to the same car I had when I was 16. I had to sell the first one when I got drafted in 68. Whoever built this car screwed up the frame so bad that it is unusable. I'm going to clip the car with a G Body front clip, the G Body and the 52/53 Ford have the same front track width. So I need to buy a car for the clip. The car will be going to the fabricator the first week of January. What I would to know is if any of the G's are heaver duty than others and does the El Camino ride 2 inches higher than the rest? Don't think replying to this thread is a waste of time, I'm not a dreamer and I have the resources. I would like to find a doner in the Phoenix Az. area where I live. Thanks for taking the time to read this......Curt...

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Sorry can’t help with your search from Pgh. Just want to say welcome and sounds like a cool project. I like DIFFERENT.

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
The 500 Cadillac was adapted into the original frame? Or was it a bad frame graft?

I have never heard that any one frame was better than another, but that doesn't mean it isn't the case. Ride height will be set by the coil springs...…...and there were several available from the factory.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey Curt, Welcome from West Michigan. Any photos of your Ford ?

Doug

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
Thanks Doug and Greasemonkey, Yes he butchered the original frame by adapting a 605 GM steering box and cutting two thirds of the width out of the frame rail to mount it. The steering itself has a idler arm welded on both sides and ten heim joints with tie rods running all over the place. I have never seen a mess like this. Could I restore the stock frame, maybe but 52 Fords steered like crap when they were new infact all cars did back then. Thanks for the replys guys...

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
No frames are heavier duty, but the aftermarket does have front & rear stiffner bars. As far as actual factory springs, new or replacement, g-body diesel front springs were the stiffest (81 to 84 ) And station wagon rear springs will jack up the rear some if you decide to use the rear. I have mid 70's wagon springs on the 83' elco rear.

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
I'll get some pics when I figure out how to post them on this forum. I'll be off line for a few days starting tomorrow. I'm getting some new flooring and I have to disconnect all my electronics so they can move around...

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Really there are a couple parts to your answer.

1) by the time you're adding a caddy 500 into a front clip you are going to want to rebuild the front end anyways - factory brakes will be insufficient, spring won't be strong enough, and since it's apart anyways, bushings and ball joints only make sense.

You should be able to find a cheap gbody that is rotted in the rear frame rails as a donor.

2) depending on your driving style, you may want a close ratio steering box. You do NOT need a monte ss/442/ttype/gn to get one, just the right option code from a donor ad any of the cars were able to be ordered with a performance suspension.

3) each of the various gbody cars had their own unique frame braces that other models didn't get. I'd point to the cutlass and grand prix for triangulation braces to help stiffen things up. If you're on a budget, f body larger front sway bar is a good choice as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I just signed up today, I will be an unusual member. I recently purchased a 52 Ford club coupe with a Cadillac 500 engine, it's close to the same car I had when I was 16. I had to sell the first one when I got drafted in 68. Whoever built this car screwed up the frame so bad that it is unusable. I'm going to clip the car with a G Body front clip, the G Body and the 52/53 Ford have the same front track width. So I need to buy a car for the clip. The car will be going to the fabricator the first week of January. What I would to know is if any of the G's are heaver duty than others and does the El Camino ride 2 inches higher than the rest? Don't think replying to this thread is a waste of time, I'm not a dreamer and I have the resources. I would like to find a doner in the Phoenix Az. area where I live. Thanks for taking the time to read this......Curt...
P.M. L.A.X-RATED for a doner. He is very resourceful on parts and is out there in the southwest.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor