Found a small vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I had been noticing a vibration,mostly when backing off the gas pedal,since last year,but didnt have time to look at it then.I had a chance to use a hoist at my buddy Mark's shop the other day and checked for what I thought might be too much play in the pinion.
Turns out it wasnt the pinion but the rear U Joint was shot.One of the cups had no needle bearings in it at all.
Went to NAPA and got a new U Joint and put it in and now the vibration is gone !!
That sure increased my driving experience :)
Guy

Reactions: 5 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Oh and while I had the Monte on the hoist I also drained and re-filled the rear diff and transmission.
The diff got some Klondike 80W-90 GL-5 regular gear lube with a bottle of Ford's stinky stuff Limited Slip Additive and the Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed transmission got some Royal Purple full synthetic Max Gear 75W-90.
Should be good for a couple more years !!
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just curious: what kind of 60' does it pull? My brother has been having a time with his DN behind a BBC in a tubbed AMX. He completely destroyed 1st his third time to the track. He now has a cryo'ed Liberty 1st gear in it, but hasn't gotten it back together correctly, yet.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I've only been to the track a couple of times for Friday Night Time Trials.
I found two time slips,the best 60' was 2.193.I dont know if this is good or not ??
These were long before I built it into a 650 HP 513 CI bad boy,LOL.It was only 550 HP at that time.
And that was on street tires and full exhaust and launching it fairly easy.
If your brother is having problems putting his DN back together here are two videos that might help;
I had my transmission guy watch these before the last rebuild and I also got the better synchro rings and springs as recommended by Paul Cangialosi.
Paul also recommended Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 synthetic lube which I have been using.
It shifts better than ever now,I'm glad that I found these videos.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Just curious: what kind of 60' does it pull? My brother has been having a time with his DN behind a BBC in a tubbed AMX. He completely destroyed 1st his third time to the track. He now has a cryo'ed Liberty 1st gear in it, but hasn't gotten it back together correctly, yet.

Besides the above blueprinting done to my Doug Nash I also had 1st - 4th gears sent out for cryo treatment a few years ago.
I believe that this has helped increase the life of my transmission as,IIRC,they were only rated for 450 lb.ft of torque and I have passed that mark a long time ago,LOL
Guy

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor