Found Another (Revisited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Thanks man...I flat towed the last couple home as they were close, that and the trailers were tied up. I now know another fellow with a 10,000 lb winch on his trailer so once we get a path cleared it shouldn't be a problem getting it loaded.

Hell yeah man. That 10,000Lbs winch should do the trick. I bought a 5,000Lbs winch and put it on my friend's trailer. He lets me use the trailer when I need it and he can use my winch when he's using the trailer. It's the same trailer I hauled my Chevy truck home on in a thread on here. Neither of us has actually used the winch yet. Lol. Hopefully soon I'll get to try it out. My truck needs work again before it'll be ready to tow with. What do you use to tow cars?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
We had an 04 Silverado here when we had our projects (between my son and I)...after the last project went so did the truck. My neighbor and good friend has a 13 GMC with a 6 litre in it. The new guy I met had/has an older Dodge with a diesel.

My daily now is an 07 Envoy and I don't tow alot with it.

Last edited:

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I've always wondered if similar pics of my olds popped on pages over the last 13 years it sat with captions of "lost to the earth" etc lol

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I thought I'd stop by today and talk with the contact at the compound where the car is. The owner did drop the keys off and I went out and went through the car. Optioned up pretty nicely actually. Air, tilt, pwr windows and door locks, delay wipers, dash clock, pwr trunk. I could see that the motor is painted well but under hood is dusty. All 4 tires flat and cracked with both drivers side starting to come off the rims. The rally wheels are complete with all hardware including the proper lugnuts....center caps and trim rings look pretty nice.The trunk is full of parts and there's a couple of boxes of parts inside the car. The ground around it is still way too soft to be changing tires so it might be awhile before I can get to change them out. Contact said no problem it's been here long enough...said if I'm ready to move it out before the other stuff is out of the way a skid steer will fix that.

On another note one of my neighbors/friend drives fuel truck and with some of the tax carp that went down they're hauling fuel to farmers as if they were in mid harvest. He said he was in one yard today that has a bunch of Gbody cars...he's been with me enough that he's starting to know them pretty good. Said he saw 2 wagons (he was unsure what), a Malibu Landau car, 2 Monte Carlos and an El Camino. So looks like I've got some more stuff to check into. This is already over and above an El Camino I made an offer on last fall and another Malibu Landau car I need to check on again. Looks like it might be a busy summer for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I thought I'd stop by today and talk with the contact at the compound where the car is. The owner did drop the keys off and I went out and went through the car. Optioned up pretty nicely actually. Air, tilt, pwr windows and door locks, delay wipers, dash clock, pwr trunk. I could see that the motor is painted well but under hood is dusty. All 4 tires flat and cracked with both drivers side starting to come off the rims. The rally wheels are complete with all hardware including the proper lugnuts....center caps and trim rings look pretty nice.The trunk is full of parts and there's a couple of boxes of parts inside the car. The ground around it is still way too soft to be changing tires so it might be awhile before I can get to change them out. Contact said no problem it's been here long enough...said if I'm ready to move it out before the other stuff is out of the way a skid steer will fix that.

On another note one of my neighbors/friend drives fuel truck and with some of the tax carp that went down they're hauling fuel to farmers as if they were in mid harvest. He said he was in one yard today that has a bunch of Gbody cars...he's been with me enough that he's starting to know them pretty good. Said he saw 2 wagons (he was unsure what), a Malibu Landau car, 2 Monte Carlos and an El Camino. So looks like I've got some more stuff to check into. This is already over and above an El Camino I made an offer on last fall and another Malibu Landau car I need to check on again. Looks like it might be a busy summer for me.

Sounds like you're getting plenty of leads on G Bodies. I know a trick for getting cars in really muddy places jacked up. It served me well at the junk yard. All you need is a fairly large piece of plywood, or a car hood or similar flat item. Lay the plywood/hood/whatever on the ground far enough under the car to place the jack on it. The larger surface area of the plywood/etc., spreads the weight of the car out instead of concentrating it in the small area of the jack wheels. With the weight spread out over a larger area, the jack raises the car instead of sinking in the mud. It works really well. It definitely saved me a lot of time and trouble. The closer you can get the jack to the center of your plywood/etc, the better this works. Good luck collecting your Cutlass.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Kevin, just a friendly reminder/urging: don't let any part of you get under that car if it is only on the jack. I know you already know better, but it is still worth saying.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Sounds like you're getting plenty of leads on G Bodies. I know a trick for getting cars in really muddy places jacked up. It served me well at the junk yard. All you need is a fairly large piece of plywood, or a car hood or similar flat item. Lay the plywood/hood/whatever on the ground far enough under the car to place the jack on it. The larger surface area of the plywood/etc., spreads the weight of the car out instead of concentrating it in the small area of the jack wheels. With the weight spread out over a larger area, the jack raises the car instead of sinking in the mud. It works really well. It definitely saved me a lot of time and trouble. The closer you can get the jack to the center of your plywood/etc, the better this works. Good luck collecting your Cutlass.

Yeah they're still pretty plentiful around here...sadly most I find have been sitting for some time already, making alot of them tough to save. Thanks for the info on working in the mud...I have done similar but tend to us a length of 2 x 8 or 2 x 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor