FOUND my 400sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Some places are using ultrasonic to deal with water jackets.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've seen them on TV. I haven't seen one in person yet, though to be fair, I haven't had any machine work done in years.
They have one for transmissions @ the ford dealership my buddy works at. I guess it just uses the 'parts tank' cleaning solutions that are environmentally friendly.

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
Left some transmission fluid in the cylinders over night she’s turning over by hand now. That’s a plus

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A lot of places have gone to high pressure water wash cabinets. Then you have to pressure wash though the oil passages.
I know about a million years ago, some of the shops used a jet-spray washer for aluminum (think VW and motorcycle) parts. Here in OKC area, can't even really find a shop that is interested in our kind of stuff

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I know about a million years ago, some of the shops used a jet-spray washer for aluminum (think VW and motorcycle) parts. Here in OKC area, can't even really find a shop that is interested in our kind of stuff
Yeah we couldn’t put aluminum in the hot tank. It could only get cleaned in the safety kleen parts washer.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Further to 64Nailhead's comments about brushes, head for the nearest Bass Pro shop or similar and visit the long gun section. They have long reach wire brush kits that contain the brush head and several long extensions that all screw together. Various diameters. Use your drill motor to spin the sucker and you're away to the races.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not sure what cleaning solution goes into a sonic tank but it is not the solution that does the cleaning. it is the sound or sonic waves that get generated by the machine that vibrate the solution and generate the scrubbing action. You can see the wave activity on the surface of the tank.. Oh, yeah do not put your hands or fingers or other body parts into the tank while it is doing its thing. The damage it can inflict is brutal.

Nick

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
Just an update, I cleaned it out. Put some trans oil in the cylinders, let it sit a few days. Came back to it and she’s turning over by hand fairly easy now. Next step for me is honing. Then I’ll put a bag over it so it doesn’t get anything inside of it. In a few months I’ll be getting some aluminum heads and a cam for it.

Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Before you bag it, drench it thoroughly with something like Fluid Film, or Honey Goo, a heavy, thick, gooey lubricant that sticks to S***. Get it into every crack and crevice, and then use a couple of Orange Glad Leaf and Litter bags and two bag it. Why? Because Life and Murphy have a way of buggering the best laid plans of mice and men and having to deal with Sh*ttus Interruptus can easily kick the as planned time frame or schedule out beyond credible to incredibly lousy.

Nick

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Before you bag it, drench it thoroughly with something like Fluid Film, or Honey Goo, a heavy, thick, gooey lubricant that sticks to S***. Get it into every crack and crevice, and then use a couple of Orange Glad Leaf and Litter bags and two bag it. Why? Because Life and Murphy have a way of buggering the best laid plans of mice and men and having to deal with Sh*ttus Interruptus can easily kick the as planned time frame or schedule out beyond credible to incredibly lousy.

Nick
shittus interruptus? I'm not familiar with that Latin. could you conjugate it please?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor