four-speed into a G-

Status
Not open for further replies.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
four-speed into a G-body

I'm currently collecting parts to put a Saginaw four-speed (until I can afford a new T-10 or Richmond 5-speed) into my '78 Pontiac Lemans and have a couple questions for those of you who have already performed the stick/G-body conversion.

I'll be using a reproduction pedal and linkage kit I came across through this site but have a question about mounting it. When hanging the clutch/brake pedals in an automatic-equipped G-body, are the neccesary brackets already up under my dash to hang the clutch? Or will I have to fabricate something?

As far as my transmission mount goes, will I have to move it or change it much to support my 4-speed? How about my driveshaft? Will I have to shorten or lengthen?

I would very much appreciate any help I can get. I've never swapped any car from an auto to a stick, so it's definately a learning experience! Thanks!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you go to MonteCarloSS.com, and go into the technical part of the site, under transmissions. There is a very complete website by a gentleman named Marc Hichens that should cover most if not all of your questions. There is also a company called Keisler Automotive in the States that is selling a complete swap kit to install a manual trans into '78-'88 A/G body cars. The kit is pricey, but it looks fairly complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor