Frame is bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Today is a very sad day for me. I put my 1986 Cutlass up on the lift at school and went to look at the back (where the previous idiot owner welded a boat hitch) only to find the driver's side rear end/frame was rotten. The rot seems to have started where the trailer hitch was bolted and welded. The frame rot is so bad I can bend parts of it with a touch. I am very mad and very upset :cry: . This car was given to me by my dad as a first car and project. I have put money into it and now it looks like it's junk. I have an El Camino (g-body) that will be used for parts for my dads *Camino Supreme* and I was wondering if I could use that frame since it is in very good condition (and has an Oldsmobile 350 Rocket in it). I have so much I wanted to do to my Cutlass. I have a new motor and transmission for it, floor shifter, S/S Cragars, Buick Grand National rear axle, and a whole lot of cool stuff for it and I don't want to part with the car. The only thing the body needs is a new trunk lid, hood, door panels, rear passenger panel and some work where the catalytic converter was. Would it even be worth putting this body on another frame? or should I just buy a rolling chassis or fixer upper and use mine for parts. I really don't want to use mine for parts but at least the new one would have some part of my old car in it. All my interior is good, has buckets, good carpet, etc.

This car is my joy and I would love to hear if I could save her from being tore down... Any advice, options, opinions?

Attachments

• DSC09972.JPG
    DSC09972.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,157

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
You can just replace the part of the frame that's rusted. Rear frame rail rust is common on gbodys (mine are rusted). Just cut the section from the elco and replace your bad section with it.

Trevor87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2013
Kamloops B.C. Canada
Not sure if the elky frame will work for your coupe but you can definitely replace the rear frame rails from a frame that isn't rotted. Another alternative is a guy that sells replacement rear frame rails for gbody vehicles. He is located in woodstock ontario canada. Parts run about $400 plus shipping. I'm sure there are other guys selling similar product but I have yet to find them. I think I'm going to get a set for my 84 grand prix this winter and do a bit of cutting and welding in the spring. Anyway here's the link.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/conradlozier/
Hopefully this was some help and good luck to you

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I believe the el camino frame is different. As said above, just cut off your bad side & weld in another from a donor car. I wouldn't go through the hassle of swapping the whole frame. The frames were the same 78-88 including two & four door models. The el camino & I believe the wagons are the only exception. Don't get discouraged, you've got many cars you could get it from: 78-88 Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix, Monte, 78-83 Malibu, 78-81 Grand Am/Lemans. A good place to find one would be at a pull a part like yard as the cars are generally lifted off the ground, where you can check them over & have room to work. I actually had to replace both of mine last year, I ended up finding some on Craigslist off a 78 Malibu for $30. All you have to do is take off rear bumper, take out 2 body mount bolts, & cut it where you need with a saws all, etc. You can also buy new rear frame rails, just depends on how much you wanna spend.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
the el camino frame IS different. wagon frames are also different. you need a coupe/4 door frame to fix your frame. plenty of them around.

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I am thinking about just buying this 1984 Cutlass Supreme instead. It has the same interior and it's in better condition than mine body wise. I really don't want to part out my car but I don't have the time and money and tools to do the weld frame piece. I did want to know if the whole Buick grand national frame would work under my old body and I'd just buy the new car for a drag car and the old one as a street.

Let me know! Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the El Camino frame is basically the same and you can use it with a few minor mods. You'll see the difference in this picture, the El Camino is on the left and the one you need is the middle picture. The rails on the right is for a station wagon. You'll just have to remove the right side body bushing perch and drill three holes in the frame for the body mounts on your car.

3setelcarsta.jpg

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
pontiacgp said:
the El Camino frame is basically the same and you can use it with a few minor mods. You'll see the difference in this picture, the El Camino is on the left and the one you need is the middle picture. The rails on the right is for a station wagon. You'll just have to remove the right side body bushing perch and drill three holes in the frame for the body mounts on your car.

So basically in a sense I can take an El Camino frame and take the arms off the Cutlass (if they are good) and replace the ones on the Elco frame and basically put the body on there with a few minor mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor