Frame measurements....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2020
Hi I’m a new member, I have posted to the new member section about me and my 1979 Monte Carlo. The issue I had was with my frame being welded wrong from the factory. The driver side was shorter from center of wheel to wheel by 3/4 of an inch. So the wheelbase was 108 on the passenger side but 107 on the driver side. Which made the car dogleg down the road. I have since corrected the issue with adjustable upper and lower control arms. Has anyone else ran in to that kind of issue? I’ve meet a guy(passes away a few years ago) that used to work at GM of Arlington, TX. He swears things like that never happen.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Damn, that's not good! How did that 79 MC survive all these years?? Who were the previous owners who did NOT notice.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
welcome to the site.more times than not a condition like that is from an accident that wasn't fixed correctly.thats where the earlier versions of additional caster control arms started.you would flip the offset cross shaft to compensate.
also keep in mind when they're building that frame on the moving assembly line, they have so little time to complete each task.theres a chance it could happen.
glad to hear you got it squared away.

Reactions: 2 users

Texasmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2020
Damn, that's not good! How did that 79 MC survive all these years?? Who were the previous owners who did NOT notice.
The car was owned since new but my great aunt and uncle, the car dealer used it as a demo model. They never noticed it, since the body tappers off toward the back it’s hard to tell. The way I found out was from multiple alignment shops. The frame factory welds are all intact, all measurements show up be square just the rear axle was pushed forward.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Remember it was NOT GM that boasted Quality was Job 1. :)

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'd like to see that discrepancy before I believe an inch different from side to side. Probably was in an accident. Where was this inch difference. I know it was noticed in the wheelbase but that takes front end alignment into the equation. It should be measure from frame mounting holes.

Anyways. Let's say it is crooked. I would look into correcting that instead of running the rear control arms to correct the wheelbase.

Reactions: 1 user

86$$

n00b
Jan 13, 2021
I have a similar problem with my 86ss Monte Carlo project and search for remplace the frame i read a lot of this theme but I’m not shure if a 85 cutlass have the same frame

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
malibuframepic7ga.jpg
malibuframepic14ov.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
No, it didn't leave the factory like that. Mounting points of the body to the frame wouldn't align correctly as well as other frame to body items. It was hit sometime in its life and never checked or ignored for straightness. Somewhere there is a bend unseen.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor