Frame off: Body mount alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SStavin

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2015
Chicagoland
Wrapping up a frame swap/frame off project with some new Energy Suspension mounts. I have a question for the experienced here as I'm having a hell of a time getting everything aligned and bolted together. What tips/tricks do you have to align the mounts with the body side cage nuts?
0xAYK3H.jpg

kkrtZlV.jpg

z9FTge7.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used 4 longer body bolts in the 4 locations just in front and behind the C channel so I could hang the frame and move it into place, then installed the body bolts while I measured and measured and measured to make sure the body was sitting straight on the frame. I didn't have the rear end, suspension or engine installed and had the body on axle stands and lifted the frame to the body.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Agreed with what GP said....use a few longer bolts to guide the frame close enough. Then measure until you hate a tape measure buy using the same point on both sides of the body fore and aft. Once all the bolts are threaded, but not tight, check the measurements again, then snug them side to side in an "X" pattern as to not pull the body by accident.
I was able to get my cutlass within an 1/8" in most places side to side and front/back which was acceptable for me.

Btw, can you give us a little more info on that monte? Looks like a nice resto going on with an LS tucked in. Welcome to forum from KY.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Don't rush putting the body and frame together. If you ever want to run wider tire in the rear if the frame isn't on straight and even it could cause you problems. And don't forget the anti seize on the body bolts

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Great advice guys thanks much. I love "measure until you hate the tape measure." I have a pretty lengthy build thread going over at montecarloss.com http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=895848#Post895848
No problem.man, that's what this place is all about...helping a fellow gearhead! I just checked out you're build thread, nice! It's crazy my 87 cutlass has went through a similar transformation like yours. Stock 307 to a carbed 355sbc, then upgraded to the stealth ram, tore it apart to do the resto, got it running and block took a crap, pulled the drivetrain to send off to paint, and i recently acquired a 5.3 LM7 that will be going back in with twin hair dryers and a 4l80 of some sort.
Here is the link to my thread here....

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/87-cutlass-efi-ls-tt-build-thread-6-8-17-short-block-finished.57506/

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Cool project!

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I just binge-read your entire thread. Cool build! That's going to be a fun car to drive. That rust was bad. Thanks for saving another G-Body from the cancer.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor