Frame Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've asked this question before, but now with a bit more information on my frame I ask again.

As I've been welding, grinding, and cutting up my frame, it's damn solid, save for that one area I patched. No holes, rust, barely even any pitting in the areas that have it. The majority of the frame (about 95%) is smooth metal, and from what I've read por15 doesn't like smooth clean metal.

SO, the question is, what paints do you guys use, how did you prep, and how are they holding up?

I have 2 cans of por15 I bought two years ago (idk if they're even good anymore), and everything I've read says por15 needs to be painted directly over rusty metal, or you have to use that metal prep stuff before hand.

To be honest, I myself would be content with just etch priming it and spraying it with VHT satin chassis/rollbar/suspension paint and dousing it in clear. Got the GM factry type sheen to it.

But if there is a better way to go about it, let me hear it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like por-15. I used it on the pinch weld for my windshield and it worked great, the ledge was a mixture of rust and and metal and the urethane bonded nicely to it . But por-15 isn't what I would use to coat the frame..
" Once cured, POR-15 is hard as a rock and about as flexible as plate glass. When applied to metal, the POR-15 expands and contracts at a different rate from the metal, so something has to give. The POR-15 still looks perfect but it has separated from the metal. You now have a rust manufacturing plant operating at maximum efficiency, completely out of sight under the POR-15. "

Nov 4, 2012
Honestly, as someone who has spent a lot of money on products like POR-15 and SEM Rust Trap, I've been equally as satisfied with brush on black Rustoleum. IMO the satin black looks great. Put it over rusty metal primer and it holds up very well and its easy to touch up.

IMO powdercoat is the ultimate frame coating but unless you are taking it to a bare frame, its not really an option.

I vote Rustoleum for frames.

For your wheel wells and other underbody sheet metal, U-Pol Gravitex or Raptor Liner. Inexpensive, looks fantastic, easy to apply and touch up, and good quality. It's what I'll be using on my car.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Honestly, as someone who has spent a lot of money on products like POR-15 and SEM Rust Trap, I've been equally as satisfied with brush on black Rustoleum. IMO the satin black looks great. Put it over rusty metal primer and it holds up very well and its easy to touch up.

IMO powdercoat is the ultimate frame coating but unless you are taking it to a bare frame, its not really an option.

I vote Rustoleum for frames.

For your wheel wells and other underbody sheet metal, U-Pol Gravitex or Raptor Liner. Inexpensive, looks fantastic, easy to apply and touch up, and good quality. It's what I'll be using on my car.
Do you brush the rustoleum on directly to metal? No primer

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Check out post 41 for reference....

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
GM frames are originally dipped in hot wax, which makes repainting them problematic. That black coating isn't paint, its wax, and paint does not like to stick to it.

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I've never been a fan of por15.

I like using Chassis Saver or Rust-Oleum.

But to be honest any paint is better than what these frames saw from the factory

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor