Frame SER# Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
FYI:
I have seen a bunch of post about location of frame ser# vs the veh VIN # matching. This is what I found on my 87SS:
1. On the Rear Cross Member 14085304 doesn't come close the VIN last 6: 104510.
2. The "HL" Pink Plastic Tag on the Frame Matches the "HL" on the frame stamping.
3. The 8 28 8? Looks like the build date that is very close to the Mfg Date of the Vehicle.
4. There are multiple Ser # on the front frame horn

Comments?

Attachments

• Frame Serial Number (Rear Crossmember).jpg
    Frame Serial Number (Rear Crossmember).jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Frame Code HL.jpg
    Frame Code HL.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Frame Ser Number (6A233) (3).jpg
    Frame Ser Number (6A233) (3).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 160

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Abbey, I did a frame swap of an 84 El Camino onto my 87 EC. In preparation to paint the frame, I used over a dozen 3" wire brushes and ran into various numbers stamped onto the frame. These numbers appeared at various locations on each piece and were the same number of digits--can't recall if it was 4 or 5 digits. As a result, I surmised they were either job or piece numbers for one frame as they all matched. If I recall correctly, the serial number of the frame was located on the top surface of the driver's side frame rail and the last 6 digits of the stamped frame serial number were the same as the last 6 digits of the VIN. It is my understanding that these last few digits correlate to the production of your vehicle. As I stated before, the location of the frame serial number on the top surface of the frame makes it very difficult for easy inspection.

Hope this helps.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Abbey, I did a frame swap of an 84 El Camino onto my 87 EC. In preparation to paint the frame, I used over a dozen 3" wire brushes and ran into various numbers stamped onto the frame. These numbers appeared at various locations on each piece and were the same number of digits--can't recall if it was 4 or 5 digits. As a result, I surmised they were either job or piece numbers for one frame as they all matched. If I recall correctly, the serial number of the frame was located on the top surface of the driver's side frame rail and the last 6 digits of the stamped frame serial number were the same as the last 6 digits of the VIN. It is my understanding that these last few digits correlate to the production of your vehicle. As I stated before, the location of the frame serial number on the top surface of the frame makes it very difficult for easy inspection.
Hope this helps.
Tanks Handy Man!
I did an complete off frame resto on mine (I am the original owner). I have pictures of all the stamping ser#s of the frame pieces. There was no # where you indicate. None of my frame pieces match: 6A220, 6A208, CA233, 6A232, 6A238, HO466, etc and 6A34? I have tons of pics with the stamped numbers on almost all stamped parts. To include the spare tire rim that even has a stamping on it.

Attachments

• SpareTireCode3.jpg
    SpareTireCode3.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 146

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There should be a VIN stamped into the rear crossmember facing to the front of the car. I can't remember if it is the complete VIN or a segment like an engine block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor