Freeze plug locations on my 5.7 H/O 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I am asking this in this section hoping to find exact information on where exactly ALL the freeze plug locations are on my
1979 H/O 350.

I have a coolant leak and I am trying to discern what is causing it and WHERE. I'm almost certain it is a freeze plug but I
don't want to jump to that conclusion just yet.

The info I get on a Google search always takes me to the Chevy 350 block but I want to know for certain for OUR OLDS engines.

I just bought the car last week and today, I find the coolant leak...:(....and I just had to walk away from the car...:rolleyes:....because I can see
my budget just flying out the window today. Not a good start.....:doh:.......the leaks seem to be at the rear of the engine but I did not
have the tools or heart to crawl under and call it certain.

That will come next week when I can have the car on a lift.......but for now, I'm just looking for a preliminary diagnosis. THX AZ

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There are freeze plugs on the heads and block. The block are right across the middle on the outside. The heads have one on each end, in front and behind the exhaust manifold's. Look at the corners of the intake and the valve by the heater hose with a vacuum line attached on the passenger rear of the intake. That valve leaks quite often. Good luck.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
There are freeze plugs on the heads and block. The block are right across the middle on the outside. The heads have one on each end, in front and behind the exhaust manifold's. Look at the corners of the intake and the valve by the heater hose with a vacuum line attached on the passenger rear of the intake. That valve leaks quite often. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, at least now I have an idea of where to start. I know of the 6 freeze plugs that run along the block. The leak seems to be from BOTH sides
of the block in the rear towards the firewall.. Water has an odd way of flowing so I wanted to start where the problem could be, rather than looking all over a wet block. When I looked up buying a new set of freeze plugs I saw the 6 plugs that go along the side of the block but I wasn't sure where the largest plug is.
Very odd for an AZ based car here in the desert ALL it's life to have a freeze plug issue but nothings impossible so I'm not ruling anything out.

Bless you for your help..(y)......I'll keep my findings posted as things progress.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It may be possible they just ran straight water which would cause corrosion. A cooling pressure tester is your friend in this case. Is it the stock cast iron intake still there?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
It may be possible they just ran straight water which would cause corrosion. A cooling pressure tester is your friend in this case. Is it the stock cast iron intake still there?

Yes car is bone stock..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor