Fridge Resto-Mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
...or "How I spent my Thanksgiving vacation".
It's been ridiculously slow and boring around here for the last few weeks. I've been trying to stay busy with projects that don't eat into the savings if at all possible. These two old refrigerators have been sitting in the corner of the paint shop for a few years so I thought I'd finally just dig in.
001-98.jpg

The one on the left is a 1941 (Nash) Kelvinator that was given to me by my buddy Jerod. It sat on his grandparents back porch in Eastern Oregon for decades. When they died and the family was cleaning out the farm he grabbed it for me, along with another for himself. I love the art-deco details. The one on the right is a 1946(?) Frigidaire that used to live right next to my Cutlass in my grandpas garage. I brought it home after he died a couple years ago.

Started by dragging out the hose and some cleaning products and scrubbing out the insides. I followed that with a good scouring with hot water and a Scotch-brite pad on the outside.
002-90.jpg

003-76.jpg

Once I got them into the booth it was time to start the initial sanding just so I could get a handle on how much body work will be needed.
006-41.jpg

007-32.jpg

I started to focus on the Frigidaire first by taking the door apart so I could remove the handle and emblem. After that I removed the door, did another round of sanding, and laid on the first round of filler.
008-29.jpg

The paint scheme/theme for the Frigidaire is probably going to be black and gold/beige with a nod to Cadillac. The Kelvinator is TBD but I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to chime in. I'll probably take tomorrow off to binge eat then get back to them on Friday. Stay tuned.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
*tuned in*

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i want an old skool fridge like that so BAD!!! :drool: You gonna trun one into a Kegorator?? :mrgreen:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
85GPLef41 said:
i want an old skool fridge like that so BAD!!! :drool: You gonna trun one into a Kegorator?? :mrgreen:
No Kegorator conversions planned. I don't even like beer :? . This one stays pretty well stocked for my brother and any buddies who drop by though. It lives in the corner of the paint shop. 1949 Frigidaire that my brother found somewhere. Still works great!
fridger.jpg

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
After almost 30 years of seeing it, you would think I would remember the brand of the old (40's or 50's) gas fridge up at camp :blam: , though I do remember how to light the pilot, hahaha, they work awesome, cool project.

**EDIT** It's an old servel, I googled brands, and then remembered what it was, lol.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It was in the low 40s when I got started today. Fired up the heater...
001-99.jpg

...and in about 30 minutes the booth was a comfy 65 degrees.
002-91.jpg

Just some more boring body work on the Frigidaire:
003-77.jpg

004-57.jpg

Stripped the door and trim off the Kelvinator and started in on it:
007-33.jpg

008-30.jpg

009-26.jpg

010-18.jpg

I'm not great at body work and absolutely hate it. HATE IT! Anyway, both of them are roughed in and actually would probably be straight enough for white paint. I think I'll just let my brother do the finish work since he makes it look so easy. He'll be back in town Monday.

Just for educational purposes, I thought it was interesting how they used such different means of insulation when I disassembled the doors. Frigidaire had very heavy fiber insulation. Reminds me of carpet jute used in '30s and '40s cars.
005-46.jpg

The Kelvinator just used stacks of corrugated cardboard. Huh? I wonder if that's what's used throughout the whole thing.
006-42.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor