from power to manual stering conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
So to use a jeep astro shafts I have to replace the 525 box I already have with the borgeson box
Thank you everybody,
There have been a lot of good answers concerning all of the steering conversations (and conversions). For mine, I will see if my local shop will redo my alignment and make sure that they check the castor as someone had mentioned.
My car was a factory Saginaw 605, but in the pacific NW area I cannot buy them rebuilt at the parts store. I can however send it direct to a rebuilder and exchange it for one already rebuilt, but mine is a daily driver and I don't want it
sitting in the driveway for a week or two (I do have a spare car, but prefer the Caballero). I picked up one of those 800 series types from the wrecking yard with the pitman arm attached, and installed it because they are easily obtainable
at the auto part store if I ever need to replace it again. I might go ahead and look for that 3rd gen camaro/firebird type next time I go to the wrecking yard.

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
This is a picture of the manual box on my 1985 mc is it a 600 or 800 box and which one is better
John, that looks Identical the the box from my 65 EL Camino! I am thinking of using it on my 85 Cutlass to shave some weight off the front, and do away with the PS Pump that leaks like a seive anyway. Just about got kicked off the track for it at Beaver Springs!

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
You can change valve pressure springs in the box to decrease the power of the steering assist. I think the stock spring is like 10-15 lbs, it can be changed to like a 35 lbs spring which will reduce the over powered feel of the stock box. I haven't personally done this mod, but I know a guy who has rebuilt a few steering boxes with modified valve springs, and it definitely makes a difference in the feel. Not hard to steer like a manual steering box, but no longer like one finger steering, zero feedback, nonsense.

I'm planning on putting a quick ratio steering box in my elky, probably a ZJ jeep box just because they're so much more common unless I find a Monte SS or third gen F body being parted. I might raise the spring pressure too. I think it's fairly easy and cheap to do. Guess I'll find out.

Reactions: 2 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You can change valve pressure springs in the box to decrease the power of the steering assist. I think the stock spring is like 10-15 lbs, it can be changed to like a 35 lbs spring which will reduce the over powered feel of the stock box. I haven't personally done this mod, but I know a guy who has rebuilt a few steering boxes with modified valve springs, and it definitely makes a difference in the feel. Not hard to steer like a manual steering box, but no longer like one finger steering, zero feedback, nonsense.

I'm planning on putting a quick ratio steering box in my elky, probably a ZJ jeep box just because they're so much more common unless I find a Monte SS or third gen F body being parted. I might raise the spring pressure too. I think it's fairly easy and cheap to do. Guess I'll find out.
It's the torsion bar in the box that determines the amount of assist (or lack of)
You have to completely disassemble the box to change the torsion bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor