From the ground up, lets build a 79 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Well in a effort to breathe a bit of life into this section why not start a build thread? I have already stripped most of the car down to this all by hand.
IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

I finally broke down and got a air compressor and a heater for the garage. I hope to have the car drivable by the end of may. I am not planning anything fancy or fast untill then.Today i got the body off the frame but could not start work because my air compressor switch burned out, but it looks like i will be welding under the body as well. but here are the before pics of what needs fixing.
IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
WOW you are a brave man ,Good luck with that rebuild ..

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That's a lot of rust-especially in the dogleg at the back of the door jamb. If anything, it is a lesson as to why it is important to clean the dirt and debris out of the closed off areas of the car if you get a chance. I was shocked at just how much dirt had accumulated in that area between the door and wheelwell on my car when I took it apart. Dirt traps moisture and it tends to stay moist for a long time wherever there is a buildup of debris and causes rust. I cleaned mine out first with a shop vac and then with a garden hose to get it all. I also cleaned out the body drains while it is apart.

kjs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2007
Looks like a nice project. I am in the same boat with an 83 mine was further down than that. I am starting the reassembly of mine. Good luck and keep us up to date!

mcsslover1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2007
Yreka CA
Thats quite a project you have there. But hey you're saving another El Camino from the crusher :) Keep up the good work.

PHXKSTM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Now i know what i have to look foward too

thank you for posted pics

did you have to reinforce the body before you lifted it

Bilster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2007
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I don't want to sound like a smart a-- but you have quite a bit of rust repair. I live in an area where I have plenty of non-rust projects available and won't start with a rusty project because it requires so much time to get it right. If the car...err....truck where a 55 Chevy or a 1st Gen Camaro, I would say go for it. But '78 'Caminos are cheap. Can you find a better main structure (cab and box)? Here is one on ebay should go cheap because it has no title....and you have that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrole ... 0183333514

Beyond that, you're at a great starting point. Get that frame sanded and box it. Reinforce the upper and lower rear control arm attaching points. This will eliminate the need for the control arm reinforcement bars if you're going high horsepower.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hotchkis ... 0187055380

Reinforce the steering box area, as well

1981ElCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2008
Everyone wanted to know why I wanted to start with a rust bucket and I'd always say why let it go to the junk yard? That is just another El Camino off the streets, One step closer to being extinct. I say work with what you got and bring it back from the grave.

hillbillydeluxe305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2008
gaylordsville, Connecticut
that elky is very much restorable and i definatly agree, why crush the car when you can bring it back to life. rust repair in all those areas isnt extremly difficult it will just take some time and a little money to get everything right. best of luck and post your progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor