Front 2" lowering springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
hi guys, so i'm planning to install lowering springs hoping for a 2" drop in the front on my v6 since my car looks a bit too weird right now with just the back lowered but i've read that certain lowering springs aren't stiff enough causing bumpy ride, so it's best to get stiffer non-dropped ones then cut them yourself? is there any springs that already come dropped but with a good spring rate instead of just gambling my money with a normal spring which can end up being damaged after cutting? the last thing i'd want is to have a bumpy ride...

Attachments

• IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 420

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Have you thought about drop spindles?? There are a lot of posts on here you should look at.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
A lot of people are running drop spindles without issue.My experience with dropped spindles is depending on wheel choice it moves the tie rod lower in the wheel.basically from the largest point of the wheel to a lower point.it makes it closer to the inside of the rim.this might become an issue if you're running a smaller 14-15" wheel.i can't verify but when i was dealing w/my own track width issues i spoke to bell tech (my drop spindle company) they said it's possible to see 3/8-1/2 increase in track width and it will vary from one vehicle to another.again lots of people are using them without issue.if you're going to replace the springs buy a set that already has an established height.cutting your own springs isn't much fun and if you misstep you're going to be to low and have a rougher ride.check out umi they do their homework with their products,I'd be reluctant to use a cheaper brand only to have it deliver a poor ride.

Reactions: 1 user

MYFINE79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Brampton, Ontario. CANADA
Have you ever though about adjustable coil overs. I installed a set on my grand prix, front and rear. you can adjust the ride height where ever you want it to give your car that killer look. On mine I get a very nice comfortable ride, but is nice and tight if you want to go to the track.

Reactions: 1 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
yessir, the thing is that i've read it can possibly interfere with the current geometry of the vehicle
Not really, at least I donʻt think. A drop spindle just moves the wheel up on the spindle, and all other connection points should be stock.
Actually, lowering springs and ball joints are what mess with your camber.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I agree with 307 Regal. By using lowering springs, I feel you lose 2" of suspension travel and have a better chance of bottoming out your suspension. Usually this is compensated by stiffer springs hence a bumpier ride. Also as 307 stated , your geometry is also dropped 2".
I put bell tech drop spindles on my 81 Malibu and didn't even need to have it aligned . The only thing that is different is the spindle hub is mounted 2" higher while leaving the Tie rod connection at the stock height. I still have full suspension travel and can take a highway cloverleaf like an fbody. The car stays flat and since I have a vinyl bench seat, I need to hang on..lol
timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor