Front Disk Splash, Dust ,whatever Shield - OEM Color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I'm removing several layers of undercoating/rustproofing from the splash shield on the knuckle. As I scrape off the layer I see a grey color resembling bare metal. I always thought they were black. I'm degreasing that area of the suspension and plan to paint that shield gloss black along with matte black on the caliper - sound ok?
(nope, no red calipers on this baby)
Shield visible lower right(2nd pic) - should that be bare or coated(in rustproofing)? So much of the chassis is covered in that.
Also many years of greasing the ball joints created natural corrosion protection.
P1100331.JPG
P1100297.JPG

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I always paint them to prevent any chance of rust coming back after cleaning or degreasing. My factory dust shields are gloss black, and i recently picked up all the parts for the blazer brake swap. Painted all of that gloss black too.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Ed, if you mean the disc brake dust shields, I would paint them. I have new ones (Blazer brake swap) on my car and I didn't paint them because they are galvanized. I figure that my car won't see much rain and won't see any of the harsh winter road conditions you guys have to deal with, so I think they will stay nice. If I had reused my original shields, I would have painted them.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thanks Injected and Jared. I guess what I'm seeing is the galvanizing coat.
As a Kid I loved building car models - guess that feeling has come back but with real cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks Injected and Jared. I guess what I'm seeing is the galvanizing coat.
As a Kid I loved building car models - guess that feeling has come back but with real cars.

just remember these cars don't go together with glue .....:D

• Agree

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
just remember these cars don't go together with glue .....:D

You don't know me very well, do you?...muhaahahaa.. (insert spooky laugh here.) The stories I could tell.......

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The gravel shields used to be galvanized from the factory. I have used both silver spray paint and zinc cold galvanizing compound to recoat them after sandblasting. Neither really looks right, but you won't see much of them.

By the way, GM uses 'panel bond' (glue) to put its cars together now.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor