Front end suspension geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015

It might so happen that thats how it ended up for him. But youre right thats not what to shoot for.

This is why bump steer gauges are a thing and every race car needs bump ran on them, there are so many variables. Think of what a caster change does to the pick up on the spindle, how many different ways can these cars be lowered? Etc. Ever notice how even though UMI (or insert your favorite company here) sells complete suspension packages they still have an adjustable bump pin?

It needs to go on a good rack or have bump ran on it. Always.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

It may not be prefect but it does help and that is not to only thing I have done to combat bump steer. I can give you the contact info of all the guys I worked with when we raced the metric who worked on the geometry but until you get rid of the anit dive on a G body you will never get rid of the bump steer. But I'll put my GP up against anyone with a G body for cornering left or right.

Last edited:

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I'm completely lost. Are drop spindles and tall spindles two different terms? When everyone says they use 2"drop spindles from a blazer is this the exact opposite kind of spindle than a tall one?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
"Tall"= B-body (Caprice, Parisienne, LeSabre, etc) it moves the ball joints further apart.
A drop spindle simply raises the wheel centerline on stock geometry for lowering.
Any additions or corrections welcome; I only know enough to be dangerous!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I'm completely lost. Are drop spindles and tall spindles two different terms? When everyone says they use 2"drop spindles from a blazer is this the exact opposite kind of spindle than a tall one?

Tall spindles have a larger LBJ to UBJ height and drop spindles have a larger LBJ to axle centerline distance.

Tall spindles change the camber curve of the suspension while (stock height) drop spindles just lower the vehicle while retaining the factory camber curve.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor