front end weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
does anyone have an idea how much the front end of a 83 cutlass weighs with a stock small block or big block... i have a bbc. have moroso trick springs and they are fully compressed and are sitting on the bump stop. no access to a scale need to figure out a spring for this car. it is the only thing stoping me from driveing it. dont want to keep buying springs to get a good stance and driveability.

thanks for any help

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
Not sure of the weight on just the front end. Does it have v8 springs on the front. they could be springs for a 6?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
This may help. All regular gbodys got a SOFT spring rate of 346 pounds with other minor spring adjustments for v6 or v8 AC or non AC. The GN/Type/442/MCSS got 420 pound ie still fairly soft. I used factory 442 spring & a stiffer 36mm hollow sway bar with my Cadillac 509. It was a little soft but handled well and never bottomed out. Moog sells direct fit replacement springs cheap at most autopart stores and you can get stiffer for even better handling especially with the extra weight of the 454. I assume it has iron heads. Moog 5658 at 579 pounds would be a good choice if you like some rake as it would sit lower than stock. Moog 5660 at 639 pounds would be even firmer and sit closer to a stock ride height. Moog 5662 carries 706 rating and many like them. MCSS forum has a chart in its tech area.

I would suggest 5660 or 5662 with the better factory (salvage yard) f-41 front & rear sway bars. Like what came on GN/Type/442/MCSS & other f-41 optioned cars. Get some inexpensive poly end links while your at it unless you already did. Man I gotta say a cheap buffer wheel & just a soft compound with de oxidation stuff would do wonders for that paint in one afternoon. That with some good sized white letter tires would raise the respect level of yo ride dramatically.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
dogshit said:
I would suggest 5660 or 5662 with the better factory (salvage yard) f-41 front & rear sway bars. Like what came on GN/Type/442/MCSS & other f-41 optioned cars. Get some inexpensive poly end links while your at it unless you already did. Man I gotta say a cheap buffer wheel & just a soft compound with de oxidation stuff would do wonders for that paint in one afternoon. That with some good sized white letter tires would raise the respect level of yo ride dramatically.

thanks for your help its just what i needed. allready have poly endlinks...the paint or lack there of....it is in primer have to save for a good paint job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor