Front half weight W/BB and SB Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

442Lou

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2012
East Marion NY
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of trying to purchase a set of drag springs for the front of my car, but in order to correctly do so, I need to know the front weight of my car. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scale that can tell me the weight of each corner of my car along with the front and rear weight percentage.

I was wondering if anyone here who has a similar set-up to mine knew what that weight might be just to give me a ball part estimate. I'm currently building a pretty badass small block Olds for it, so if anyone has this info, but with a small block that would be great as well.

At the moment, my car is a full bodied '86 cutlass with a big block Olds 455. Total, the car weighs just over 3800lbs

Thank you in advance!

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Dam, dude... why three posts in different sections , impatient much???
Remember a simple Google search will answer any question you have...
Factory SBO and BBO weights are virtually the same, only a 60# difference that can be basically canceled with an aluminum intake.
Weights from my '87 442 door jamb sticker:
GVWR 4559lbs
GAWR FRT 2295lbs
GAWR RR 2264lbs
GM designed these cars to be even front and rear for safety purposes after the disaster with the Corvair...

442Lou

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2012
East Marion NY
Thank you for responding. It's not that I'm impatient, the same question just pertained to three different sections. That, and I really just wanted to get as much feedback as possible. So, my apologies.

In regards to your response though, are you positive that your GVWR is accurate at 4559#? I ask because that seems really high.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
GVWR on the sticker is not the Curb weight of our cars. I weighed mine a while back with a 350 Olds and the 2004r transmission and had 3537lbs. 57.9 front and 42.1 rear. my gas tank was just over 3/4 full. I hope this helps.
Question. Do you have drag shocks on the front of your car? I'd try those out before using drag springs. Also is your car hooking? And is your frame braced?.
A 455 will twist your frame just before the car moves forward if (it hooks). The Gbody was not designed to handle that kind of torque. So you have to brace and stiffen your frame up to hold up. I've seen rear spring pockets rip from the factory frame welds on Gbodies racing with small blocks, So with a 455, you better put frame work on your list. Friendly advice.
T

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
I am currently running a 455 in an 84 cutlass with a th350, moroso front "trick springs" for a big block and 3 way adjustable shocks. I currently have no frame bracing or boxed but I do have a 6 point cage which helps a lot. The entire goal for the springs and the shocks is for weight transfer to get the front of the car up and the weight to the rear tires, your weight on the front end and corners of your car will help you find instant center of your car and figure out a lot of other things. Mine sits a little low in the front but looks good, I also have the moroso trick springs in the rear and 3 way adjustable shocks in the rear also. IMO I would use the moroso trick spings in the front again but go with a variable rate spring in the rear so it sits level.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
Rccktmn2 what trick springs are you running. Had a set of trick springs but was running on the bump stops. 454 in a cutlass

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
In regards to your response though, are you positive that your GVWR is accurate at 4559#? I ask because that seems really high.

IIRC The GVWR is the max capacity rating that was givin. Not the the actual weight.

3800 sounds like a tank full of gas and a trunk full of tools to me. Thats on the heavy side even for a big block G body IMO.
As stated above the engine weights do not vary by much. To the aluminium intake, I would add battery relocation and you should be right where you were(or under) with the stock motor. So then suggested drag springs for a small block would be my choice.

Last edited:

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
A pre 1977 aluminum intake 350 weighs 590 lbs dressed, no AC and an aluminum intake 455 weighs 625 lbs dressed, no AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor