Front Load washing machines - what brand to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
We've been using an old school Whirlpool top load washer and dryer for years... You know, the kind with the huge agitator that wears holes in your jeans? They are now over 20 years old and as a part of a laundry room refresh, I am going to buy a new front load washer and dryer. I am well aware of the potential pitfalls of owning a front load washer but believe that with some special care I can prevent the dreaded spider failure and stinky gasket problem.

What brands can you guys recommend? My wife wants either the black or silver color which limits our options to Samsung, LG, Electrolux and Whirlpool. Thanks in advance for your response.

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Our personal experience with a very expensive LG front loader was not good. Just after 5 years, we ran into issues that would have been over $750 to repair....and there was no guarantee that it would last...so we junked it!
Bought a Samsung and have been very happy with it....it's been 5 years (so far, so good).

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I have a nearly 10 year-old Kenmore top-loader, and haven’t needed to do a single thing to it. It’s just the basic, bargain-basement model. Can’t complain. Also have a basic Kenmore fridge that’s only needed minor repairs.

That said, the appliance repair guy said Whirlpool actually makes most Kenmore appliances. I’d probably buy Whirlpool for my next washer/dryer.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Don't do it. Had a top load for years, then the wife just had to have a front load. I hate the damned thing, and not just because it ate the keys to my hot rod for 2 weeks. You have to use that Affresh stuff, and that makes your house smell ghetto. I want my top loader back!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Anymore I don't think brand even matters, I think you're lucky if you get 5-8 years out of one. Currently we have a Samsung, its a few years old and has been trouble free. Before that we had a front load Whirlpool that lasted pretty long, maybe 10 years, but we had some issues with it. Before that we had a Maytag from the late 80s. If I were to buy a new front load machine right now, I'd go for another Samsung.

Personally, I don't like front load machines, I'm 6'3" and I practically have to kneel to get the clothes in and out of the machines. But my mother is 5'2" and she insisted on a front load machine. I just use the laundromat most of the time anyway, as my jeans and coveralls from work seem to wash better in the heavy duty machines.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My wife and I needed a new washer a couple years back. Instead of a front loader, we got this Samsung top loader that is essentially the same as the front loader. It doesn't have the agitator tower, but the center of the drum spins separate from the outer ring upon startup to determine the weight of the load, water capacity needed, time of cycle, etc.

Knock on wood, but it's been a great machine so far!!!! I would've taken an inside pic, but it's running right now lol!
20180215_201328.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I only use top loaders. Mostly because as soon as it starts agitating I find something else that should have gone in. FWIW in the 70's when I was in Germany we had a GE washer/dryer set in the barracks. It was indestructible. Guys even put field gear in there! So when I got home I bought the same one and it lasted us about 25 years with no issues. Since then- Kenmore.

Reactions: 3 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Thanks for the replies. My wife and friends think that the top loaders are outdated and for old people he he. You know the saying, happy wife happy life....I'm 6'4" so I plan to get the pedestal bases. I think if we carefully follow the manufacturer directions (i.e use HE soap, correct quantity of soap and regularly use the cleaning cycle) we'll be able to keep a front loader alive for a long time. For those that had failures on your front loaders what was the cause? In spite of Trumps tariff, pricing hasn't changed yet so I will probably pull the trigger soon.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Since you are seeking laundry machine advice on a hot rod forum, we interrupt the advice column with a customization story. When I was a broke college student (round two) I bought a used old-school set from Craigslist for $100. The washer started to leak after a while. I bought a $10 tool at the appliance parts house to remove the big nut that released the drum from the tub. There were little bubbles in the enamel, and pinholes below that. Being broke, I got a $5 can of Kool Patch and fixed the holes. Then put it all back together and ran a couple loads of old ratty white T-shirts to make sure the tar wasn't going to crap all over my clothes. I used that set for five more years until I got married and we spent our gift cards on a brand new set.

And now we return to our previously-scheduled program.

Front loaders are easy to swap clothes from washer to dryer, unless the designer of your laundry room puts the washer hookup on the wrong side, and the brand you buy does not allow the door hinge to swap sides.

Front loaders will stink after a while as the water never fully drains from many models. In our current house, we got a free almost-new pair of Kenmore machines from the previous owner, and saw that there was a class action suit about this problem, but we got nothin' - no receipt. Instead, I run a load of whites with bleach now and then and leave the washer door open for a day so after heroic laundry weekends so it dries out some. Once we learned these two tricks, they have worked pretty well for us. Just beware of the open washer door when you open the laundry room door...

One failure was cleaning the mung out of the door gasket bottom. I scraped too hard and popped the gasket off its rim and that thing was a b!tch to get back in place.

Consider a gas dryer. I had really great luck with the original Kenmore - that thing would dry clothes faster than the electric we replaced it with.

If you buy a set, make sure you remove the shipping bolts from the washer that hold the suspended drum in place to prevent shipping damage. Check the instruction manual...

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i had a front loader for a short time,i don't see the hype.went back to the GE top loader deep fill..if it ain't broke don't fix it!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor