front rotors/ wheels studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Question for the guys that have done a rearend swap before....... i've done some looking around but cant seem to figure out what studs to get for my front rotors, they have the factory m12's in them now, but i'm getting a quick performance 9inich rear that has the 1/2-20x2" studs, and want the fronts to match. i've found plenty of sets online, but does anyone know what the diameter is in the rotor so i can just press the old ones out and press the new ones in? cant seem to find the dimensions.. any help would be appreciated!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Careful doing this. I had a guy press in new studs and the knurl was a little larger than stock. Cracked the rotor at every hole. I had to get a new set of rotors and had a machine shop drill them out. It was an expensive lesson.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Careful doing this. I had a guy press in new studs and the knurl was a little larger than stock. Cracked the rotor at every hole. I had to get a new set of rotors and had a machine shop drill them out. It was an expensive lesson.

Thanks for the heads up, i was lookin around and cant find the right knurl so im just going to run the 12mm’s up front and the 1/2 on back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did the same thing to the front rotors on my Monte, I had to drill out the stud holes using my drill press to match the required diameter of the knurl on the new 1/2" ARP studs.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks for the heads up, i was lookin around and cant find the right knurl so im just going to run the 12mm’s up front and the 1/2 on back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem started when I went to buy the longer studs. I lost one of the lug nuts on my Monte when I was running Welds. I went to a local speed shop with an original stud. The owner used a caliper to measure the knurl, went over to the rack and brought back a set of Moroso studs. I paid him and went on my way. I had a knucklehead that had a shop press them in along with a set in the rear axles. I looked at the rotors when I got them home and there were hairline cracks at every hole. When I took them back to the guy he said the castings were bad and he would call the company to get another set for me. They were Power Stop rotors. Long story short, the guy boned me. Never got the rotors. After waiting close to 2 months I ordered a set of Delco OEM rotors and had a machine shop do the job.
The whole issue was the studs were too short for the shanked nuts that are used on Weld Draglites. I now have 3" studs and use open ended lug nuts.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I installed 1/2" studs on mine is so all of my open end lug nuts were the same size and since I was also using a shank style lug nut I wanted to run longer/stronger studs, you have to drill out the rotors to run a 1/2" stud since the knurl is larger than the one on the factory studs.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
My problem started when I went to buy the longer studs. I lost one of the lug nuts on my Monte when I was running Welds. I went to a local speed shop with an original stud. The owner used a caliper to measure the knurl, went over to the rack and brought back a set of Moroso studs. I paid him and went on my way. I had a knucklehead that had a shop press them in along with a set in the rear axles. I looked at the rotors when I got them home and there were hairline cracks at every hole. When I took them back to the guy he said the castings were bad and he would call the company to get another set for me. They were Power Stop rotors. Long story short, the guy boned me. Never got the rotors. After waiting close to 2 months I ordered a set of Delco OEM rotors and had a machine shop do the job.
The whole issue was the studs were too short for the shanked nuts that are used on Weld Draglites. I now have 3" studs and use open ended lug nuts.

thats nuts man i hate to hear that. i think i'll just deal with the mis matched lug nuts for now. i've got the powerstop setup as well and then for now i have the factory cutlass ralleys eventually i may drill the rotors when i get my gnx wheels but that will be a while.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I'm doing the reverse, I've got 2000 Camaro front hubs/studs. Going to have to order my new rear axles with the same size as the front. Does anybody know the specs for my fronts so I don't order the wrong studs in my axles?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Geesh - you guys are on the ball. We run around three different sets of 2 lug nuts depending what's cooking. 1/2" for rear axle, M12 Tuner style for street tires, and regular M12 acorn for the spares.

I guess I never thought of making them all the same, but I guess if we have three different types of wheels, then I assumed this would be the deal.

:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor