Front spring install suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I put the springs in liquid nitrogen then wait until they shrink down to about 12" and then drop them place. I leave both ball joints in place and only have to make sure the spring is in place as it expands.....:popcorn:
Where do you get liquid nitrogen? What does one store it in. I need some. I'm curious how that affects the spring steel. Have you had any springs fail prematurely? Maybe a brittle fracture? I'm curious now.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
42660476_10217605338272403_4357749968291758080_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
All kidding aside, front springs are tough but you should be able to get them in without any issues. I used one of these on both of my cars. Got it from the loan a tool deal at the local Autozone. Hooked it to the spring, put the threaded rod up through the shock hole and used the longest handled 1/2" ratchet that I have to draw the spring up. SLOWLY !!!! You dont use the seperate piece. You just have to stick the isolator up there first and make sure the springs lined up with the lower control arm. You also have to make sure you have the top and bottom correct. If you dont know which is the top you can watch this video.

oes-27035_xl.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Where do you get liquid nitrogen? What does one store it in. I need some. I'm curious how that affects the spring steel. Have you had any springs fail prematurely? Maybe a brittle fracture? I'm curious now.

I get it from Amazon and store it in the fridge in my igloo... :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
It sucks no matter what. Even with an internal compressor. And I didn't have the engine or trans in. So I sat on the frame to help compress it just enough, with the jack under the arm to get the ball joint nut started

Reactions: 1 user

buhler86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2018
Manitoba, Canada
I just did my springs, what a pain. I ended up using 1/2" grade 8 threaded rod with big washers through where the shock absorber goes and then tighten it up with wrenches. Worked way better than any other method I had tried.

Attachments

• 20191001_101745.jpg
    20191001_101745.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 145

Lowdollarbuild

Apprentice
Dec 12, 2018
N E Georgia
I’m installing UMI control arms with Moog 5660 springs that are about 2 inches shorter than the factory originals. Man are they a MFr. I have to take the one back out because the isolator came out when the spring FINALLY went in. Thank God I took Turna’s suggestion and bought the internal spring compressor he pictured a while ago. It’s still a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it a bit easier?
Could be worse if you were installing taller stiffer springs,without the weight of an engine. Highly recommend putting a strap or chain through the center of the spring & spring pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor