Front Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
I’m rebuilding the front end on my car, I took the springs out to get new springs and they measure 15.25 inches. Do coil springs lose our gain length after being in the car for 40 years and if so does anybody have any idea about how much to add or subtract to get the same spring height that was in the car?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
The commonly used Moog 5660 were damn close to stock height for my a/c SBC. I cut half a coil off to get it where i wanted it. From everything I’ve read on here, I don’t believe out of the box height matters much. It’s more the spring rating.

Reactions: 2 users

Sittin Duck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2019
I just saw a video on cutting front coil springs on YouTube, I forget the mfr's name but it is a big-name company. Per the video, you stand the spring on a bench and measure it at it's tallest pt. Then put it in the car, and if too tall, decide how much you want to lower the car. Divide your number by half and cut THAT much off the spring. If you want the car 2" lower, cut 1" off the top of the spring.

Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
The stock springs sag a little over time, but not much in my opinion. Adding a lighter engine with aluminum heads raised my front end a lot. Maybe 3 or so inches. I just installed moog springs for a 2 inch drop from stock height ... and it looks glorious! Haha seems lower than 2 inches even with the lighter engine idk. Unfortunately I lost the part number on the springs I wish I knew what I ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor