Front suspension advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
I have an 86 442 with speedway uppers, stock height ball joints, stock springs, bumpstops ,running 2"drop spindles and bilstein ak shocks. The 442 has stock sway bars with poly bushings up front and moog 5409 springs with mystery shocks,stock rear bar and tubular lowers. I'm running 205/70/15 up front and 255/60/ 15 in the rear. I installed the drop spindles recently and haven't gotten a good alignment yet as I might make some changes. The main problem with the front suspension is that it rubs the tire on the upper wheel well on certain bumps and in my mind I'm thinking higher rate stock height springs and different style or material bump stop might make things safer. If I have to pull the springs I would consider taller ball joints and or other upgrades but I really don't want to go all pro touring or drag oriented just looking for a no hassle street car.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200715_145516.jpg
    20200715_145516.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 163
Reactions: 1 user

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
I had this same problem. Unfortunately the only way I found to fix the rub was to raise the front end back up until it didnt rub anymore. I achieved it by using front coilovers.

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Where exactly is it rubbing? Can more rim offset help you? I guess that is not an option with stock rims.

Not familiar with Moog 5409's but in my opinion, any lowered car needs more spring rate than stock.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My last thread is basically for the same issue with my wagon. I want to put a nice set of wheels and tires on the car and the ones that were on there rubbed through the inner fenders. A real pain in the *ss.
I dont know what springs are in mine but it has 2" dropped spindles. I called the previous owner twice the other day but couldnt get so speak to him. I want info about the springs. At this point Im thinking about getting a set of original spindles and throwing them back in. Very frustrating. I have 205 60s on the front.

slow 442

Greasemonkey
Jan 16, 2014
It must have short springs installed on the drop spindles. 205/60 is shorter than the 205/70 I was running.im in the process of doing tall ball joints, stock height spindles and moog 5658 springs in front. Hopefully it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor