Front suspension help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
I want my Regal to handle better and sit lower in the front and also have the potential to upgrade my brakes, but I’d like to be able to keep my 15” wheels.

What would you all recommend? I’d be glad to share any details that might help.

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Moog 5660
2 inch drop spindle
32 or 36 mm sway bar
Jounce bars
Gp brace
Umi rear chasis brace
Bmr sp037 rear springs
Box upper and lower arms
As much rear sway bar as you can get
Bilstein shocks

That's what I'm headed towards. I learned most of this from forum members

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The only cheap brake upgrades that will fit 15" wheels are the 2WD Blazer spindle/ 11" brakes and the B-body Spindle/brakes w/1LE 12" rotor. The B-body/1LE rotor won't fit all 15" wheels, but will work with many (GN wheels rub, but T-type wheels do not).

You can get it so the top of a 26" tall tire (stock tire height) is above the fender bottom and still have acceptable ride with just springs (stiffer and shorter), tall lower ball joints and ZQ8 bump stops.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the guy to listen too
He knows his stuff.

On my elky. I decided to go with the c5 corvette stuff. I purchased calipers front and rear from a c5 vet owner. I posted a wanted add on a Facebook page
I paid 200 for all four calipers
Ilol post up my other costs ect as I go
I fully expect the brake upgraded to cost all of 1k for the 13 inch c5 stuff

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Have to be careful with 1" taller lowers as they can put the lip of the control arm into the wheel, depending on what wheels you have.

On a budget?
Taller lowers
1" taller uppers
More caster, lots more, watch the upper control arm to manifold/header clearance
34 or 36mm F body sway bar
Check bushing condition, rehab if necessary
Jounce bars
Cut springs will stiffen the front end but you will lose travel, drop spindles will maintain travel but will be softer
Bump steer centerlink
New calipers, "gooder" pads (like a hawk black pad) braided lines

Thats around 400 depending on what you need, and where you get it from, and a great bang for the buck.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have to be careful with 1" taller lowers as they can put the lip of the control arm into the wheel, depending on what wheels you have..

with a taller lower ball joint the lip on the ball joint will be grinding into the rotor. With the stock ball joint the lip is sitting in the void between the hub and rotor. I have a 1/2" taller lower ball joint and the lip was sitting hard on the rotor so I "modified" the lip with my mini sledge...:)

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
There is also this kit,the Stage 2 Plus, from SC&C;
http://scandc.com/new/node/47
I installed this on my Monte several years ago and was really impressed with the difference it made in the handling,and it also lowered the front end,although I cant say how much as it had non stock springs on it when I bought it.
I have a series of "Test Corners" on my favorite back road,and I've had the Monte doing over 100 mph around these 5 uphill corners and it feels rock steady..
There are also oversize metric calipers available and the piston is bigger than the stock calipers,2.75 inch vs the stock 2.5 inch;
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/afc-7241-9001
I also used slotted and crossdrilled rotors and Hawk HPS brake pads and upgraded the rubber brake hose to a Russell SS hose.
This upgrade also made a big difference in the braking department.
Quality tires will also show an improvement over poor or worn out tires.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
I used b body upgrade with ub machine upper control arms to correct the geometry. Old design but a good one

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
I used b body upgrade with ub machine upper control arms to correct the geometry. Old design but a good one

I’ve been thinking about that but I’m not sure it will get the front end as low as I want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
The only cheap brake upgrades that will fit 15" wheels are the 2WD Blazer spindle/ 11" brakes and the B-body Spindle/brakes w/1LE 12" rotor. The B-body/1LE rotor won't fit all 15" wheels, but will work with many (GN wheels rub, but T-type wheels do not).

You can get it so the top of a 26" tall tire (stock tire height) is above the fender bottom and still have acceptable ride with just springs (stiffer and shorter), tall lower ball joints and ZQ8 bump stops.

Yeah I’m definitely leaning towards springs and taller lower ball joints. I have the gbodyparts upper control arms. Would I need to change them out for some longer ones? I had to shim the hell out of them to get the alignment right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor