Front suspension & Steering (Parts List)

Raga138

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
Hi. I need some help with finding all the rubber parts from the front suspension and the ends from the steering. Could anyone check summitracing for a whole set? I dont really know how to find them cause my bad english :( its for a 78 malibu but I think that there has nothing change thru years

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
PST bushings are great for a driver. You need 4 upper control arm bushings and 4 lower control arm bushings. They have Tie Rods, too.

For the rest of the suspension, I would recommend for a "Daily Driver" to make it drive more like a modern car:

In Front you'll need:
Springs (AL LS1 or V6): Moog 5658 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
Springs (Iron SB/AL head Big Block): Moog 5660 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
Springs (Iron BB): Moog 5662 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
Shocks: Bilsteins
Control Arm bushings: PST polygraphite Lower Control Arm bushings (4) (uppers, too (4) if you re-use stock upper control arms)
Maybe Upper Control Arms: G-body parts UB Machine Tubular will work fine with 17X8's, could have interference with smaller diameter 8" wheels and tall ball joints.
Bump stop: ZQ8 GM 15956547, Dorman 31064
ball joints: Proforged 1/2" taller Lower 101-10048 and Upper 101-10020 (Summit Racing)
sway bar and Sway bar bushing: Hollow 3rd gen F-body - Junkyard (34-36mm doesn't matter)
steering improvements: fast ratio box, u-joint steering shaft: 12.7 Ratio Steering box (from F41 car)(Rockauto), '93-95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering shaft or modified Astro Van Shaft (Junkyard or G-bodyForum Members), New Inner/out tie rods if more than 60K miles (P-S-T).
Front End Alignment: Target .5 Degree Negative Camber, 5 degree Caster (or as much as can be done) and 1/16 - 1/8" Toe in.

If you want bigger brakes in front:
Spindles: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer - Junkyard
Brakes: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer dual piston 11" - Junkyard

For the frame:
Jounce bars From a Cutlass: Junkyard.
Grand Prix bar: Junkyard
adding the missing lower Frame mounts: Replace any Flat washers with 457915 Pink Lower Bushings

In Back:
springs: I would leave the stock and see how it handles
sway bar: A "pro touring" style rear sway bar
shocks: Bilsteins
control arms: Stock, with new bushings if needed

This would be for a driver. For something tracked I would do some things differently (like stiffer springs, solid lower control arm bushings, etc), but the above wish list will make the car drive/handle good (better than every stock "classic muscle car I have ever driven) and with good tires, not be embarrassing at an autocross.

A '78 will have SAE lugs unless they have been swapped so if you go to Blazer brakes in front, you may want to swap the studs in the rear axle to M12-1.5 so you don't have 2 different lug nuts

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 12 users

Raga138

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2018
PST bushings are great for a driver. You need 4 upper control arm bushings and 4 lower control arm bushings. They have Tie Rods, too.

For the rest of the suspension, I would recommend for a "Daily Driver" to make it drive more like a modern car:

In Front you'll need:
Springs (AL LS1 or V6): Moog 5658 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
Springs (Iron SB/AL head Big Block): Moog 5660 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
Springs (Iron BB): Moog 5662 (put in first measure ride height, then removed and cut to perfect ride height after everything else put on)
Shocks: Bilsteins
Control Arm bushings: PST polygraphite Lower Control Arm bushings (4) (uppers, too (4) if you re-use stock upper control arms)
Maybe Upper Control Arms: G-body parts UB Machine Tubular will work fine with 17X8's, could have interference with smaller diameter 8" wheels and tall ball joints.
Bump stop: ZQ8 GM 15956547, Dorman 31064
ball joints: Proforged 1/2" taller Lower 101-10048 and Upper 101-10020
sway bar and Sway bar bushing: Hollow 3rd gen F-body - Junkyard (34-36mm doesn't matter)
steering improvements: fast ratio box, u-joint steering shaft: 12.7 Ratio Steering box (from F41 car), '93-95 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering shaft or modified Astro Van Shaft, New Inner/out tie rods if more than 60K miles.
Front End Alignment: Target .5 Degree Negative Camber, 5 degree Caster (or as much as can be done) and 1/16 - 1/8" Toe in.

If you want bigger brakes in front:
Spindles: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer - Junkyard
Brakes: 1998-2003 2wd Blazer dual piston 11" - Junkyard

For the frame:
Jounce bars From a Cutlass: Junkyard.
Grand Prix bar: Junkyard
adding the missing lower Frame mounts: Replace any Flat washers with 457915 Pink Lower Bushings

In Back:
springs: I would leave the stock and see how it handles
sway bar: A "pro touring" style rear sway bar
shocks: Bilsteins
control arms: Stock, with new bushings if needed

This would be for a driver. For something tracked I would do some things differently (like stiffer springs, solid lower control arm bushings, etc), but the above wish list will make the car drive/handle good (better than every stock "classic muscle car I have ever driven) and with good tires, not be embarrassing at an autocross.

A '78 will have SAE lugs unless they have been swapped so if you go to Blazer brakes in front, you may want to swap the studs in the rear axle to M12-1.5 so you don't have 2 different lug nuts
Wow. Very very very thank you :) I have new shocks (rear pumped) and now searching for the rest. Once again thanks :)

Reactions: 5 users

Nic99

n00b
Sep 5, 2017
Question regarding front suspension.. will coilovers bolt right in or is there fabrication required? Thank you!
1986 cutlass

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Question regarding front suspension.. will coilovers bolt right in or is there fabrication required? Thank you!
1986 cutlass

The lower control arm shock mounting points need to be significantly strengthened. The shock bolt area is in no way designed to support the weight of the car. On a lowered car and using the stock shock mounting points, there isn't much room for a coilover to operate. The spring would have to be shorter and have a higher spring rate than stock. Modifying the mounts (raising the upper and lowering the lower) AND running drop spindles (so the spring can be longer) are really needed for coilovers to work successfully on a lowered G-body. If you are building a jacked up "Rally Cross/off road" G-body and want to lower it down to stock ride height, only stronger Lower control arms are needed. For a "slammed" G-body, the stock pickup points + coilovers = really sucky ride... but it looks cool, I guess. Shorter, stiffer springs on a lowered car will drive better than bolt in coilovers.

If you just want coil overs so you can raise/lower the front end, Circle track style "weight jacks" can be adapted to the spring pockets and tabs for external shocks be welded to the frame/LCA. This is how NASCAR handled raising/lowering the nose "back in the day".

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
That parts list should be a pinned post. Easily available

It's a true wealth of proven knowledge

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

walshie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2018
UNGN - thanks so much for this list!
I just got mu 87 Monte running after last year's winter project - installing a T5 Tremec.
Love the car but the steering and suspension is sloppy.

Upgrading all of these parts is next winter's project for sure!
The only consideration I have is buying the complete kit with tie-rods, cross section, idle arm, ball joints, etc...but I will figure that out.

Again thanks for spending the time to post this.

Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
A couple of people have suggested this thread should be a "Sticky". After reading through UNGN's posts, I agree. Good info. I'll make this a sticky.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor