Front sway bar bushing bolt mount stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Has anybody had to repair stripped threads in the frame for the sway bar bushings mount?
Is there enough room to go up one in bolt size?

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
One option if you have access to a welder is to drill the hole big enough to put the proper size nut in,after rounding it off,and welding it in place.
Guy

Reactions: 2 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The right side has a large hole where you can put a nut inside. The left side is a b*st*rd as it has no access holes. You need to weld it up and redrill and tap. I have also seen people still the holes over size and make a plate with 2 nuts that fits into the holes.
I have the stripped hole problem with one of my cars that I still have to fix

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what about using green loctite to install a stud

green.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You could also consider a nutsert. However, the type I tried to use needs a special crimp tool to lock it into place. One side I welded up, the other side I used a few nuts temporarily accessed thru the hole on the passenger side.
Another suggestion that I think 565 used was using U-bolts.. ..if I recall.
I do like the idea of using a plate with nuts welded to it. There's several variations, It's up to your preference of how you want to a achieve it.

Reactions: 1 users

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Looking at a Keensert with red loctite on the outter threads, have them at work but i have to find a 14mmx1.5 tap we only have a 14mmx2 and a 14mmx1.25. Figures lol

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looking at a Keensert with red loctite on the outter threads, have them at work but i have to find a 14mmx1.5 tap we only have a 14mmx2 and a 14mmx1.25. Figures lol
A 14 x 1.50 tap should be a pretty common size.

Sorry, I was actually thinking M8 x 1.5.... M14 is rather large, isn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor