Front sway bar bushing bolt mount stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think that's the way to go. How were you able to compress the Riv-nut without the tool?

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I think that's the way to go. How were you able to compress the Riv-nut without the tool?
long 10mm bolt with a nut and 2 washers. run the nut on the bolt (grease the threads where nut will be moving and inbetween the washers, helps make it easier to move under load) then 2 washers then the riv-nut. insert into drilled hole and hold bolt and riv-nut square and flush to frame with breaker bar and shallow socket (I wedged the bar against the frame to help keep stable, then tighten nut with wrench until you feel it bottom out, This compresses the riv-nut together and collaspes the knurled section.
the secret is to drill the frame 1/2 bore first then finish bore with the 13.5mm (17/32) drill, if you drill just with 13.5mm drill, bore is .5mm oversize for some reason and the riv-nut has no resistance and wants to spin when the nut is run down. Thats how I mucked up 1 riv-nut.
I'll post a pick of the setup, wish I did a step by step while I was doing it but phone was charging upstairs sorry. I'm sure Ill be doing this on at least 1 of the other g-bodies I have, Ill get photos then.

I really like the end results.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good ole' Yankee ingenuity goes a long way.....Well done! I know exactly what you mean about drilling the hole slightly too large and having the insert spin. Again, you want the knurled section to be able to grip the area and collapse locking it into place. Otherwise it renders the Riv-nut useless.

Reactions: 1 user

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Here is pics of the Grainger part number and the set up i used.
I chased eack bolt a few times untill it treaded in by hand. Last thing i wanted was the Riv-nut to break loose and spin during install.
20191013_202807.jpg

Attachments

• 20191013_203045.jpg
    20191013_203045.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
  • Informative

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you for sharing the useful information. Hopefully other members will put to good use....including myself. ;)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor