front weight reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsrcr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
Does any body know the weight of the front bumper on a '79 with the aluminum inner and also the steel core support, trying to decide if a custom core support and glass bumper is in the near future. There's not alot of lightweight parts for this car that I've found so far and I already have a fiberglass hood. I really dont want to put a factory aluminum support in if Im tearing it apart anyways to get the steel one out, I would probably just build a custom one. Thanks

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
if ya wanna lighten the bumpers..........easiest way is simply chop it up. if ya look at the bumper and core support ya really only need a small part of the core to bolt the bumper on. pretty sure you could chop away at least 60 to 70 % off it and still look stock. as for strength well its probably pretty weak that way. but super light

peace

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I know you have a '79, but this may help anyways...

81-88 Cutlass Factory Component Weights:

--------------------------Aluminum-----Steel
Hood----------------------22.5 lbs-----53 lbs
Rad. Core Support------12 lbs--------24 lbs
Intake Manifold----------17 lbs--------58 lbs
Brake Drums-------------9.5 lbs------12 lbs
Front Bumper Core------8 lbs---------25 lbs
Rear Bumper Core------11 lbs--------35 lbs

You'll probably be better off buying a pre-fabbed lightweight radiator support or making one yourself...
Finding a factory piece is a pain, unless you're Lue. And they're expensive, because the people that do find them know what they're worth.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Don't have any numbers to help but I did the following to my Cutlass.

Fiberglass bumpers (front& rear), custom aluminum bumper brackets, Aluminum core support, Aluminum radiator,fiberglass cowl hood.

Some weight was added Pontiac 440, th400, 12 bolt and rollbar.

The car ended up 3250# race weight, 225# of that is me.

I also used an Iceman trans crossmember 8#, awesome piece.

He also sell a core/radiator support. In the future I might swap the aluminum one onto my wagon and add his.

http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman

928232261308_0_BG1-1.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Forgot, I saw an ad for a aluminum hood also. They are supposed to be lighter then fiberglass. It is pricey also.

I would not use the aluminum one if you plan on a scoop of any kind, why ruin a neat factory part?

Here is a link:
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=78019

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
shotgun ,
have you verified the weight difference between your fab hood and the original steel one ?
Dan

gbodyaddict

Apprentice
Dec 9, 2008
Oakland, Ca (Bay Area)
oldsrcr said:
Does any body know the weight of the front bumper on a '79 with the aluminum inner and also the steel core support, trying to decide if a custom core support and glass bumper is in the near future. There's not alot of lightweight parts for this car that I've found so far and I already have a fiberglass hood. I really dont want to put a factory aluminum support in if Im tearing it apart anyways to get the steel one out, I would probably just build a custom one. Thanks

i save this in my list from maliburacing forum.http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pw4RXuqpgZP2zw_QcQHvESA&gid=2

oldsrcr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if the iceman core support fit cutlass also. He has them listed for a malibu and also wondering about price? To my knowledge any two headlight core for g-bodies are all pretty much the same.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Bigdan, No. I never weighed the stocker or glass. I could unbolt the glass one if you really need to know. It's kinda beat up and in black primer so I don't have to worry about scratches.

gbodyaddict, THAT"S MY SPREADSHEET. :lol: Good to see it is being put to good use. I do need to update it abit.

oldsrcr, my understaning it will bolt in. With any install, things like headlight buckets etc may need you to do some minor fab.

Send me one of his, $150 bucks and a return shipping label and you can have my aluminum one. :wink:

gbodyaddict

Apprentice
Dec 9, 2008
Oakland, Ca (Bay Area)
shotgun said:
Bigdan, No. I never weighed the stocker or glass. I could unbolt the glass one if you really need to know. It's kinda beat up and in black primer so I don't have to worry about scratches.

gbodyaddict, THAT"S MY SPREADSHEET. :lol: Good to see it is being put to good use. I do need to update it abit.

oldsrcr, my understaning it will bolt in. With any install, thing like headbuckets etc may need you to do some minor fab.

Send me one of his, $150 bucks and a return shipping label and you can have my aluminum one. :wink:

Holy shiiit....sorry man, i should remember where i got it from...Its been useful in other forums too and its very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor