fuel cell installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

avenger79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2019
so this seems like it should be pretty straight forward but, does anyone have a good install picture or write up for putting a fuel cell in a monte carlo?

just wondering if there are any things to watch out for.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Having done this myself, I would just caution you to be sure that you really need it. I Just ripped a fuel cell out of my 70 Chevelle and put a factory tank and lines back in. I ran my race car in its original form with a sumped stock tank.

Reactions: 1 users

avenger79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2019
well may or may not have needed it, but too late now (kind of). stock tank is already out and new fuel cell is sitting on the bench waiting to go in.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Well in that case, if I was doing it, I would build the tank up off the floor to allow you to keep the pump and filter in the trunk. That way you aren't cutting any holes in the trunk floor and then having to build a pan around the tank sump.

avenger79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2019
hmm hadn't thought of that. I was planning to build the guard around the sump.
car will be street and strip, not much street driving.

if you put it in flat where to you mount it to? I haven't looked yet but do you have to attach it to cross members or just to the floor of the trunk?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Mine when it was on the floor with the hole in the floor for the sump, I used large fender washers on the bolts and bolted it right to the floor. My current Chevelle had the tank on 1.5" square tubing to lift it off the floor and keep the lines in the trunk. When my race car was backhalved we built a steel tube frame and not only lifted the tank up, but tipped it back to keep the fuel at the sump.

Reactions: 1 users

avenger79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2019
I see, wasn't sure if the floor would be enough. the straps did come with extra flat bars for extra support. I guess it is as easy as I thought.

not doing a back half anytime soon LOL

thanks for the info

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what are you using the car for, if you're drag racing it doesn't matter but any other racing that involves corners gas is heavy so you want the tank as low as possible, not sitting on the trunk floor.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor