Fuel delivery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey. The 78 El Camino has had a fuel delivery problem since ive owned it (14yrs). It don't do it all the time, So I can drive it for a wile before it starts. It will run great then it will act like its running out of fuel, when it happened the first time I installed a new fuel pump, The problem seemed to go a way. now with a different motor its back. So I take it up and down the street a few times nothing happened. Stop to do a burn out, out a bout three or four feet and it starts to die (like its running out of fuel), Pumping the gas peddle to get the next drive way, still pumping it, and it recovers. get to the garage let it idle for a wile and it starts to die (again like its running out of gas) and it dies. carb not getting fuel. With a can of gas I fill up the carb fuel bowl, starts up no problem, and it runs for a wile, definitely long enough for the pump to fill up the carb. So thinking the sending unit strain might be plugged. I remove the fuel tank and sending unit, and no clog the strainer is fine. To remove the fuel in the tank I blew in the fuel line and the fuel started draining, drained five gallons out using the sending unit. So im thinking the fuel strainer isn't plugged. So I guess ill put the strainer in the tank and put the tank back in the El Camino. I think Ill replace all the hoses (maybe one is sucking closed), and maybe replace the fuel pump. Not sure how old the pump is. What do you guys think ?

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
The sender is on the bench, No rust or rot and the sock looks fime to me. The problem is no fuel in the fuel line be for the carb. The carb is a Factory Quadrajet.

Doug

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If the inlet filter is still in the carb, yank it out, and see if it makes a difference.
Also, could be sucking air through a cracked rubber or rusty steel line. Could rig a can up to eliminate the car system as a cause..

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sticky needle valve, wrong size needle valve, sticking float hinge, or bad accel pump seal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
The Carberator is fine. Its not getting fuel from the tank. Im know treating it as if it has vapor lock. going with a new gas cap and replace all the rubber fuel lines from the tank to the steel lines then from the steel line to the fuel pump and a glass see though inline fuel filter so I can see the fuel at the carb. Also going to blow air though the lines with compressed air, Maybe the charcoal canister line is plug. Any other suggestions .

Thanks Doug

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you removed the horn on the carburator to see if the float is in good shap, the needle and seat are not sticking, that the hanger for the needle is in the proper place and not affecting the operation of the float and needle.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor