Fuel gauge ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
No matter how much gas is in my tank, my fuel gauge always goes way past full. I've heard about this being a ground issue, but I don't know where the ground for it is located. Anyone else have this problem?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the ground for the sender is located just behind the driver's side strap for the tank is located. It's installed with a small (8 mm I think) self tapping bolt

cincy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
Cool I'm probably going to pull the tank tonight, hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for the help

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can get to that ground at the back of the tank so you don't have to drop the tank unless the ground strap isn't the problem.You can test the sender with a multimeter using the ohms. Connect one side to the sending wire coming from the tank and ground the other side. 0 ohms is empty and 90 ohms is full If it is the sending unit that is defective check the new one to make sure it works before you put it in the tank and install the tank. I didn't when I changed mine and I was not happy dropping the tank to change it again

Last edited:

cincy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
Is the ground connected to the clip that comes from the same wire loom that powers the taillights? I saw one black wire that comes off of that, and goes up to where the bottom of the trunk lid is on the drivers side.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you looked at the strap at the rear on the driver's side? On the bracket where the strap is fastened is where you'll find the ground for the sender.

cincy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
I didnt see it, ill look there again to be sure. However, i put another tie wrap around the connection for the sending unit to tighten it up, and the gauge works now, even though its only accurate when i put my foot down quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor