fuel injected LT1 to carb how???

Status
Not open for further replies.

CALI-WAGON_09

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2009
Los Angeles,CA
i wanted to know how easy or difficult it would be to convert a 95 or so LT1 to run by carb so that i can swap out my 305 i have know
i also wanted to know about a good cam that i can put in that will give me power from idle

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm no expert. But I would guess all you need is an intake and carb for that motor, and bolt it on. But I don't know if anything needs to be done with the distributer.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
why??? the EFI on the LT1 was pretty good and since you need to keep the ECU to control the ignition anyway...
there is no advantage to carbs. no EFI doesn't produce more power than a properly tuned carb, but efi can "tune" for the conditions up to a few times a second.

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
You have to convert from optispark to a distributor. The optispark is a sorry ignition, so converting to a standard distributor will allow a larger choice of parts and a MUCH hotter spark.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
you still use the same opti-spark ignition, , it runs off the front of the cam, also they are some harnesses you will have to get to set everything up...a better option is the lt4 conversion

89Nighthawk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 16, 2009
TEXAS
monte olrac said:
you still use the same opti-spark ignition, , it runs off the front of the cam, also they are some harnesses you will have to get to set everything up...a better option is the lt4 conversion

Why? The optispark is crap, go ahead and put a good ignition in it.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
it's just and option, you can upgrade it too...i just don't like them because water and spark don't play well togather. But you would have more room to tinker with it in a g-body

01GPGT

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2008
they make a coil on plug kit for the LT1. and you can not put a dizzy in a LT1 there is no pervintion in the block for one unless you are really good at drilling straight. GMPP does make a intake it is expensive though.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
LT1 Carbed

GM Performance Performance Parts makes a carb hi rise intake for LT1's PN 24502592
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... 2592&dds=1
In Jan 1997 Hot Rod magazine did an article on an iron head LT1 with a camaro LT1 cam and headers and this intake and a QJ. It made366 hp. With a GM hot cam it went to 409 hp and with roller rockers 421hp. In CarCraft last month they spent a pile to make 412 hp with an Edelbrock LT4 injected top end.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/cc ... index.html
I've got a'96 Impala SS LT1 that runs high 14's at 94 mph in a 4400lb car that works back to around 325hp...headers, K&N, cat back etc. I'm building a carbed LT1 for my 56 Ford like in the article. We've got a 62 Pontiac with a '95 Impala SS injected driveline. It was a big learning curve for me to convert it. Email me for a copy of the ironhead article. [email protected]

78 Malibu 400 4speed
96 Impala SS
62 Pontiac LT1
56 Ford LT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor