Fuel line from pump to carburetor on a 260

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2022
I've been here before but as a browser, now I need just a smidge of help.

Accidentally destroyed the fuel line (it was really easy trust me) on my dad's 1979 cutlass supreme while trying to pull the carb off. Bad news is I cant find this snake of a fuel line anywhere on the internet, so I was just considering using a rubber line, if at all possible. I know the 260 is pretty bad but believe me when I say I prefer it to my dad's OTHER Gbody, a 79 monte carlo with a 231. THAT thing sucks, haha.

Anyway, please direct me to a way I can make a new fuel line or to a place I can just buy one. has stock carb, M2MC dualjet rochester. Hopefully that's enough info.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Depending how and where you destroyed it, perhaps you can insert a short section of rubber to bridge a short distance and have it well clamped to each side of old metal line.

Nice thing about carb is the 5-6psi operating pressures make it easier to not have the patch leak, BUT.....

I'd say braided stainless is a safer/better option for fire prevention and heat resistance if it's touching the engine block.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Back in them days, they didn't have pre-bent lines that fit. You had to cut it off a 5/16" tubing roll and use flare fittings and bend your own. Physically, the 260 is no different that the 307 as far as being able to route the fuel line. Plus, the 2MC is simply the front half of a 4MC, so there may be a fix. ALL 307s used a 4 barrel. The issue of why they don't make one is maybe that the 2bbl carb sits a tad further back than the 4bbl due to being centered on the manifold and being shorter, but essentially, it's the same hookup and route. Never worked on a 260, but it would make sense.

Ironically, from 82-88, they had a 307 fuel pump line, GM p/n 22506485 that was pre-bent and had fittings on it. Classic Tube makes them in steel or stainless steel. For your 260, there's NO reason to get a stainless steel one. Gbodyparts sells the one from Classic Tube and marks them up $10, so just go to the source. You'll save money anyway. Pay Classic Tube $24.99 or pay someone else for the same part $35. Duh.

If you got one, you could likely carefully stretch that bend a little to make it, or as mentioned, have Classic tube bend you up a special 307 one, add an inch or so to the straight carb end and you can have a new one that should fit your 260. I'll try to get out to the shop later and measure a 307 one.

I'm assuming you just chewed up the fitting? Or did you twist and mangled the line and bends? Either way, if you measure from the base of the last bend to the end of the pipe where it connects to the carb, then you can compare it to the measurement I can give you today of the 307 fuel line if I'm not too lazy to get . That way, if you decide to have Classic make you one, you can just tell them "I need you to add (whatever extra measurement) to the carb end of your CUC1008-OE so it will fit my 2 bbl 260."

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wondering if you'll ever be back, but just for anyone else wondering, from the back of the last bend to the carb and to the end of the pipe into the carb, it's approx. 1 and 5/8" inches for a 307 prebent line. The end of the carb nut sits approx 2" to the back of the housing, so it's a tight fit in there. The best way to attack it is to put the pipe into position, then while the carb is unbolted, slide it back a tad to start the fuel line nut into the filter nut. Bolt the carb back into place, then tighten as normal. You'll likely have more room with the E2MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor